Chapter Four: Cato

Chapter Four:

Cato's POV

-- 

"Cato!"

"Cato?"

I groaned and pulled the covers over my head, trying to block out the voice calling my name.

"CATO!! GET UP THIS SECOND!!" my annoying mentor, Alexis Letterman, screamed.

"What do you want?! It's five AM... and you want me to get up? No way," I snapped.

"Aw, well, as much as I hate to disappoint you, it's time to wake up. All tributes have to be downstairs in twenty minutes to practice training. The whole world doesn't revolve around you," she replied sarcastically.

"Seriously, or are you just doing this as some sick idea of a joke?"

"Well, as much as I would do that... nope, sorry, but rules are rules. You're a tribute, which means that you need to get up and go downstairs to train, no exceptions. Oh, and all the people of Panem are gonna be watching, so try to make yourself appealing to the audience," Alexis commanded.

"Since when is training televised?!"

"As of yesterday. Claudius Templesmith thought the audience should see a preview of what the tributes are like, skill wise," she said in a mocking tone, which irritated me deeply.

I shot her a glare and reluctantly got up. "Well, fine. They want a preview? I'll show Panem exactly what they'll see in the arena."

"That's the spirit! Now, your stylist has set your training outfit on that dresser. Sorry to say that you missed breakfast with the other tributes... so, you'll be training on nothing. Good luck with that!" Alexis cackled as she left my room.

'Good luck with that!' If only Alexis was a tribute and not my mentor... I'd give her a taste of the arena, all right...

--

--

I scowled when I saw Alexis in the main part of building.

"You're two minutes late, Cato," she snapped, pointing at her watch.

I smirked, tore the watch off her wrist and crushed it underneath my feet. "What're you gonna do? Shoot me 'cause I was two damn minutes late?" I spat.

"If I was head Gamemaker and this was the arena..." Alexis hissed, "I would do a lot more than shoot you."

I rolled my eyes and walked away from her.

Alia ran up to me, smiling. "You excited? It's our first day of official training!"

"'Course. You know they're filming us, right?"

Alia nodded. "Yep. Alexis told me to give Panem a good show."

I snorted. "She told me to 'be appealing to the audience,' whatever that's supposed to mean."

"Alexis really hates you, doesn't she?" Alia asked, her.

"Oh yeah, she hates my guts. But I honestly could care less. I'm not too fond of her, either."

"She's... bitter..." Alia trailed off.

"Bitter?  That's a bit of an understatement."

She smirked. "I'm trying to 'make myself more appealing to the audience.' The last thing I need is to be the tribute that bashes her mentor."

"You're already appealing to the audience," I said.

"Enough with the mushy gushy nonsense, Cato. Take your precious little girlfriend into the training area and please, for the love of the Capitol, don't destroy the entire training room," Alexis demanded, and shoved us into another room.