Chapter 37

Toya POV

*

How can we have been so blind? The answer was right there. Right under our noses. Everything makes so much since now. Nothing ever happened until she came back.

"So you think this Trina girl is behind it?" Jaheem flew in some time ago.

"It has to be her," Britt said. "No one else is crazy enough to do this."

"And she's apparently your twin sister?" I nodded. "This is some Hollywood movie type shit. Toya got an evil twin out there looking to kill y'all over what exactly?"

"Rashid," I said. "She's been planning this since middle school. She's always tried keeping me away from him."

"Why?"

"The psychotic bitch is obsessed," Rashid grumbled. "Why the hell did I start messing with her?"

"Exactly Rashid. Why the fuck did you start messing with her?" I glared at him. "If I had known y'all was messing around I would've never gotten involved in your bull shit."

"This shit ain't my fault! How the fuck was I supposed to know damn near ten years later we'd be in the middle of some plot to kill us all over me?"

"If this is all about you wanting him why don't you just leave?" Jaheem asked. 

"Because shit ain't that simple no more," Britt said. "They killed my baby. It's not about just getting Rashid back. At least not anymore. She's trying to get rid of all of us."

"And if she's working with Kenny and Deon," Rashid said. "Them two mfs never liked me so I'm sure they want me dead and take my empire. I don't know how they're all getting what they want. Two of em want me dead, she don't."

"She might be pulling the strings. Joe's our father so she may have control over his people's and business. They could be manipulating her and got her thinking they'll help set y'all two up," Shad said.

"Y'all always got my head hurting," Keem complained.

"Let's not make this sound anymore difficult than it is," Jaheem said. "Trina is jealous of Toya. Simple as that. It's not about driving a wedge between y'all because it didn't work the last time. She wants Toya dead because she thinks that'll kill the jealousy she has towards her. But not just killing Toya. She wants the satisfaction of breaking her. She didn't in middle school, high school, or with Joe. She figured out the only way to break her is to get what Toya loves most. Family."

"I don't want anyone hurt because of me," I said quietly. 

"You're not giving yourself up Toya," Malik said. "When you left four years ago it killed all of us. You were and still are the glue that holds us together. When I didn't have anyone I had you. Same for Shad. Even when you were being crazy you were always there for us. All of us. We're not letting that psycho bitch win. You're not leaving us again." Malik had tears in his eyes and the fact that it hit home made me not want to knock him out for cursing. 

"I'm sorry Malik," I hugged him. "I won't leave. I promise."

"Jaheem, you should take Toya back to New York," Shad suggested. 

"But-"

"No Toya. I know you want to protect us but that time is over. You protected us enough. It's time we protect you. With Jaheem you're safe. You can get your degree. Have a life outside of this one. Once Trina's gone...you can finally be happy. Like really happy."

"Toya Shad is right," Britt said. "You're my best friend. My sister too. I'd rather have you 6 states away than a casket. You did enough the first time. This time it's our fight. We will do what we have to."