Chapter 5

Natalie spent her week riding and getting to know Brendan. She found herself growing more and more attracted to him as the days went by. The prince was having similar feelings.

Ben spent his week lying in his bed in the infirmary, watching Natalie wistfully from the window. He wished he could get out of bed! He was going mad not being able to get up and do something, anything.

Tara visited Ben daily, and they spent hours talking.

"Thanks for keeping me company. I don't know what I'd do if I had no one to talk to."

"You're welcome. So when do you get to get out of here? Has the doctor told you yet?"

"He says that I can move out of here tomorrow. It's about time!" Ben sighed. "I think tomorrow is going to take years to come." Finally, eyeing the sword at her belt for the hundredth time, he asked the question that had been on his mind all week. "So, do you know how to use that sword you've got there?"

She grinned. "I've been told that I can better my brother. One day I hope to be as good as my mother. She's a legend. Why do you ask? Can't you use a sword?"

Ben shook his head, embarrassed. "No, I can't. When I'm well enough, would you teach me? I would really rather not have a repeat of this." Ben gestured vaguely in the general area of his ribs.

"I'd be happy to," Tara answered. Then she asked tentatively, "Do you know the men who did this to you?"

Ben stared down at the bed and answered quietly, "I do." He didn't continue.

Tara pressed him, "Who were they?"

Ben looked up into her eyes and said, "They were my brother and his best friend." Seeing the look of horror on her face, he told her quickly, "Oh, Bryan's always been like that. Throwing me against walls, giving me black eyes, that's just how he is. Sometimes he and his friends will go for months without laying a hand on me, but lately they've been having a mean streak."

"That's awful!" Tara exclaimed. "If Brendan ever hit me he'd be in the dungeon for a month!"

Ben started to laugh, then saw her face and the laughter died down into a cough. "Oh, you weren't kidding. I forgot that you have a dungeon here… No, my parents haven't ever seemed to fully realize what's going on. My mom seems to have convinced herself that her little Bryan can't possibly be capable of hurting his brother in such a way." He snorted. "Little does she know…" He trailed off, staring into space.

There was a knock on the door and the king walked into the room. "Good afternoon, Ben. How are you feeling today?"

"I'm feeling great, other than the fact that I'm not allowed out of bed yet."

King Kotaku nodded understandingly. "Ah, yes. That's always the hardest part of being injured." He stood silent for a moment, then seemed to remember why he had come. "I came to ask you what you had planned to do once you where released from the infirmary."

"I honestly have no idea, Your Majesty," Ben answered.

The king waved his hand impatiently. "How many times have I told you just to call me Kotaku?" Ben blushed and nodded. "Anyway, I came to offer you shelter here. You seem to get along well and since you aren't really sure where your home is, you might just like it here. You would be more than welcome to stay."

Ben nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, Your – er – Kotaku, I would."

"Well then. Now that's settled, I shall have someone make up your room. Now I must go, as I have business that I must attend to."

Kotaku gave his daughter's shoulders a brief squeeze and strode from the room.

Later that evening, Natalie went to visit Ben in the infirmary. He told her the news that he was going to stay.