Chapter 12

Natalie was shaken awake roughly then pulled to her feet. The man did not look at her as he led her to a large, official looking tent at the edge of camp. She was shoved inside in front of the man.

Taking in the sight in front her, she gasped. A familiar looking man lay in a ball on the ground at the feet of Brendan's murderer.

"Oh, good. Our leverage has arrived." Brendan's murderer crossed the tent to Natalie and grabbed her by the arm. "Do you know this man?" he asked.

Adam looked up at her, agony in his eyes. He pleaded with her silently to deny it. Sweat poured down his face with the effort of keeping silent through his pain.

"N-no," Natalie stuttered. "No, I don't know him."

"I see." He turned to a group of soldiers who stood at the back of the tent, waiting for instruction. "We are going to need some stronger persuasion."

The soldiers dragged Adam to a post that was located toward the back of the tent. The post was T-shaped. The soldiers tied Adam's arms to either side of the T and stripped off his shirt. Then one man readied a whip.

Natalie cried out as she realized what was happening.

"Are you ready to give in, now?" asked Brendan's murderer.

"Darion, leave her out of this. She has nothing to do with this. You've ruined her life enough. Just leave her alone," said Adam.

"Ah, so you finally admit it. Not that I didn't already know. After all, you weren't exactly being quiet about you grief over your precious prince's death. But I wanted to hear you admit it." He took the whip in his hand. "Now you will tell me everything that you know."

Adam was silent.

The whip lashed out and Adam's breath hissed out between his teeth. Natalie saw with horror the hideous red weal that was left in its place.

The whip was used a lot that night. Each time that Adam was silent, Darion grew more angry. By the morning, nothing was left of Adam's back but rags of flesh that were stained red with his blood.

"Just kill me already," he spat into Darion's face. "I will never give in to a coward like you."

This enraged Darion and he flew into a frenzy, in the end granting Adam his wish.

"Dispose of the body," Darion told the soldiers, his voice cold.

"Yes, Captain," said the soldiers. They untied the mangled body from the post and dragged it from the tent, leaving a trail of blood in their wake.

Ben awoke expecting to see Adam nearby to greet him. Adam was nowhere to be seen.

Ben got to his feet and made his way to the mess hall, hoping to see Adam. He wasn't there either. Not having the slightest clue where to go after breakfast, Ben went to the stables. He noticed two guards standing outside each entrance, which seemed to him to be unusual.

As he entered the stable, Ben heard the voice of the young groom telling someone, "He belongs to a man named Brigham."

The boy turned the corner suddenly and ran right into Ben. He grinned and said, "Speak of the Devil and the Devil shall appear… There's a woman over there asking about your horse." Yelling around the corner, he said, "Here he is, ma'am." Ben followed the boy around the corner.

Natalie did not look up as they approached. "I wonder, sir, if you realize how very much your horse looks like a horse I knew back at the castle?"

"Does he, now?" Ben asked.