Chapter 9

When she awoke, Natalie was not entirely sure that she hadn't dreamed it all, but one look at her hand and the ring on it, and she knew that it had been real. She was really going to marry Brendan.

She donned a white cotton blouse and a chocolate brown ankle length skirt. That was another thing she missed about the future. Chocolate. Air conditioning she had eventually learned to live without, but she still woke in the night with sudden urgent cravings for a good old Hershey's bar.

She left her room and began to make her way to the dining hall. Halfway there, Natalie met up with Brendan. He smiled at her.

"Good morning, love," he said.

"Good morning," Natalie replied.

Brendan offered her his arm. "Would you care to accompany me to breakfast this fine day, my dear?"

Natalie smiled coyly and said, "Oh, kind sir, I am sorry. But I fear that I am already engaged, and the handsome man may not approve of my relationship with you."

He scowled menacingly and Natalie giggled. "I shall fight this gentleman to the death for you, lovely lady, although, I am sure he is very handsome indeed! If only you would accompany me to breakfast?"

Natalie took her fiancé's arm and leaned into him as they walked into the dining hall. They sat in their usual spot with Tara and Gabriel. Ben had not yet made his way into the dining hall. Brendan began to stand, but Natalie pulled him back into his seat, careful to keep the ring hidden from her friends' view.

"Wait for Ben," she hissed to her fiancé.

He nodded and glanced toward the entrance. After a few minutes, he touched Natalie's arm and gestured toward the doorway. She glanced over and saw Brn entering. She and Brendan stood and began to make their way to the front of the enormous dining hall. Tara gasped as she saw the reflection of light off of Natalie's ring.

"Brn," she began as he sat down at the table. She knew how much he loved Natalie. Everyone did except for Natalie herself. "I think there's something you ought to know…"

She was cut off as Brendan addressed the people in the dining hall. "We have an announcement to make," he said, raising his voice so that all could hear. "I have asked Natalie, and she has said yes. We are going to be married." The announcement was short, sweet, and to the point.

Ben's world came crashing down around his ears amid the thunderous applause that this announcement was greeted with.

Not one, but two royal weddings!

Tara and Gabriel cheered and whistled as loudly as the others in the hall, but Ben just sat in his seat, mouth hanging open in disbelief. He said not a word as Natalie and Brendan returned to the table. He ate in silence as a steady stream of people came to congratulate both the couples. As soon as he finished eating, Ben slipped away, out of the dining hall.

Ben wandered across the courtyard and into the stable. He hardly knew where he was going. His mind reeled. She couldn't marry Brendan. Ben loved her too much. The same thoughts were repeated in his mind for a long while. Finally he made the decision to tell Natalie how he felt.

Ben reported for his riding lesson at the usual time. He saddled the quiet grey mare named Gariah that he had been using. Leading her to the large practice field behind the castle, Ben began to walk then to trot her in circles.

"Hold your hands higher," Natalie called from the fence.

Ben startled. He had been so wrapped up in his own thoughts that he hadn't heard her approach. He noted with gratitude that Brendan was nowhere in sight.