Chapter 8

"I think you're ready," Tara said gravely.

"What?" asked Ben, getting to his feet and wiping off his backside. Gabriel's blow had just landed him in the dirt. Again.

"I think you're ready," Tara repeated. Seeing Ben's blank expression, she clarified, "For your sword. I think you're ready for it." She walked to the fence at the edge of the field and picked up a cloth wrapped bundle that was lying on the ground. Walking back to where Ben and Gabriel stood, she presented the bundle to Ben. He took it gently.

"Unwrap it," Tara urged.

With trembling hands, Ben did as he was instructed. The cloth fell away and Ben's gaze fell on the sword inside. He drew the blade from the sheath and inspected it. To Ben's eye, it was without flaw, perfect in every way.

"His name is Sciros. Care for him well, or you'll have my ancestors to answer to," said Tara.

"I'll do that," answered Ben.

Gabriel jumped at him without warning and Ben sprang instantly into action.

"Block!" Tara yelled to Ben. "Use your shield! That's what it's there for!"

Ben gave a small nod and did as she directed. He was sparring with Gabriel while Tara looked on and offered comment and direction. Ben had made rapid progress since he had begun to learn eight months before. Gabriel still beat him most of the time, but there was the occasional time that Ben won. Ben noticed that Gabriel had to work harder to win than he had to in months past.

Ben's life had fallen into a pattern since his arrival in Simone​. Every day he had a riding lesson with Natalie and Brendan, which he did not very often enjoy, due to 'happy couple syndrome'.

Then he picked up Sciros and went for a lesson with Tara and Gabriel. Tara, seeing how easily he had picked up swordplay, had begun teaching him the use of bow and arrow and also how to fight using a dagger.

Natalie and Brendan spent many hours together, growing closer. During those times, Ben was often left alone due to a certain absence of both Tara and Gabriel.

It was, as of yet, unofficial, but Brendan was expected to propose soon. Natalie was not oblivious to the talk going around the castle. She had given the matter much thought and had decided that if he asked her, she would say yes. She knew that she could very easily be happy here for the rest of her life.

Ben was jolted from his thoughts when Gabriel slammed his shield into him, knocking him to the ground. Ben lay there for a second, getting his wind back. Gabriel appeared above him.

"You're dead," he announced. Then he chided, "Don't let your thoughts wander. If you'd been paying attention, you would have deflected that blow easily. Concentrate."

"I know, I know. Sorry," Ben replied, rubbing his sore butt. That would be a nasty bruise tomorrow.

Gabriel grinned. "That's alright. Again," he instructed.

Ben bent down and picked his sword up off of the ground and held it out in front of him in a defensive position. Gabriel came at him again and Ben blocked mechanically.

That night, Ben and Gabriel walked through the courtyard on their way to dinner.

Gabriel saw Ben glance behind them and grimace. He looked back also and saw Natalie and Brendan behind them. They were holding hands and whispering as they walked.

Gabriel grinned and told Ben, "Just give it up, my friend. That is one battle you will always lose. I've long since learned that Brendan always gets the girl. Although, I have to say, this is the most serious I've ever seen him about any girl."