Chapter 7: Doctor's Advice

Connor buttoned his shirt and waited for Doctor Hillsborough to return to the examining room. The drive to Denver had been a nice respite from his daily routine, but an idea for a new painting had recharged his energy level. He couldn't wait to get back to Paxtonville.

The doctor reentered the room. "Connor, I'd like to speak with you in my office."

That didn't sound promising and Connor frowned. He sure hoped he wouldn't hear what he thought he was about to hear. His hopes were soon dashed after Dr. Hillsborough settled behind his desk and Connor lowered himself to a plastic chair. The man was the foremost in his field, but the aesthetics of his office left much to be desired. His many degrees and awards hung crookedly on the walls in cheap plastic frames, while piles of papers and books covered every available surface.

Dr. Hillsborough looked concerned when he said, "I looked at the x-rays and CT scan and I'll be frank; you can't forestall the operation any longer. If you do, you run the risk of losing most of the mobility of your right arm and hand."

Connor heaved a sigh and studied one of the framed credentials without really seeing it. "But the operation is no guarantee that the problem will be fixed, and it could have the same effect as doing nothing—correct?"

"As we've discussed before, that's right. But if you want to continue painting, it's a risk I think worth taking. Without it, you have maybe a year or two before irreparable damage to your nerves. At least with the operation there's a chance you can continue painting for many years, maybe the rest of your life."

"So, what's the recovery timeframe and what do I need to do?"

"You'll stay in the hospital for two to three days after surgery and then be down for at least three months. At first you'll be resting most of the time and doing light rehabilitation exercises. The second month you can be up more and your exercises will intensify. The third month you should be pretty much functional. But I'll be frank; it will take six months to a year to completely recover. Do you have someone who can live with you during, say, the first two months?"

Connor puffed a breath. "No; not really."

"Then you need to hire someone."

Connor nodded. "Thanks for the truth, doc. I'll let you know my decision by the end of the week."

Dr. Hillsborough's countenance changed from doctor to friend. "Mac, I wish I had better news. If you want, I can recommend some private nursing homes if you decide to take that route instead of hiring someone in-house."

Connor winced. "I'd rather remain in my own home."

"In Denver?"

"No, in Paxtonville."