Chapter 25: The Only Way

Cecelia closed and locked the door to her coffee shop. In a few minutes it would be dark and she needed to get ready to spend Christmas Eve with Miles and Tooty and her niece and nephews. After the fiasco the previous night with Mac and Sean, and her subsequent departure, the thought of spending the entire day alone had turned her stomach. Rather than be alone, she'd opened her coffee shop for business on Christmas Eve. Several locals had visited and wished her a merry Christmas and she was thankful for the distraction of working. Justin had stopped by and chastised her for being open and then proceeded to help with customers. When she'd ordered him to leave, he'd refused. Only when she'd started locking up had he left the shop. Now, with her coffee house closed and Christmas lights twinkling throughout the business district, Cecelia inhaled deeply of the piney air. She glanced upward when snowflakes landed on her coat. The weather made Christmas Eve perfect. In the morning, children would be sledding and building snowmen while wearing new mittens, muffs, and jackets. She stifled a sob. Mothers and fathers would be laughing and playing with their children while she sat alone for yet another Christmas. Maybe I'll open the coffee shop on Christmas.

A noise distracted her and she lowered her head from watching snowflakes. She recognized Sean walking toward her. Clearing her throat she started to apologize for her behavior the night before, but Sean spoke first.

"Don't tell me you opened the shop on Christmas Eve."

"I did."

There was an awkward silence and then Cecelia spoke first. "I'm sorry about last night."

Sean didn't respond directly to her apology. Instead, he said, "I...ah...got things straightened out with my dad."

Surprised by his revelation, her heart jumped.

Sean continued, "You're not the one who should be apologizing, I am. I walked over to your house to do just that, but you weren't home, so I decided to see if you were at the coffee shop."

Cecelia said sincerely, "Apology accepted and I'm so happy for you and your father."

Sean asked, "Can I walk you home?"

"Of course. My brother invited me to his house and I need to get ready."

"Well, tell Harris I said hello."

"I will."

They walked in silence under dancing snowflakes until they reached the corner leading to Cecelia's house. Sean said, "I want to show you something." He placed a hand on her arm and gently pulled her in the direction of Mac's house.

"Sean, I don't want to see Mac."

"I promise you don't have to see Mac. But there's something you really don't want to miss."

Cecelia frowned. "I only have a few minutes to spare."

"That's all it will take."

Curious, Cecelia allowed Sean to lead her toward Mac's block, but just before they reached the corner, she stopped walking. "Sean, I don't know what's going on, but I–" She sobbed and then reined in her emotions. "I really don't want to see Mac."

Sean stepped to the corner and turned to face her. "Just walk to where I'm standing; that's all I ask."

Cecelia puffed a breath and watched the air crystallize in the cold night. She stepped forward until she stood beside Sean under a street lamp that had just turned on.

She gasped.

Every house on Mac's block was lit with Christmas lights. Some blinked on and off, some remained steady. But the house with the most lights was Mac's. Movement on his porch caught her attention. Sean said, "Come see," and gently pulled her down the sidewalk, closer to the house. She began to recognize people on the porch—Fannie Levinworth and several other neighbors; also, Tooty and Miles and their children. Inside the house more people peeked out the windows: the Branigans, the Martinezes, the Tuckers. Fannie's porch was also crowded with the Hackstetters, the Tanners, Justin, Tillie, and so many more. And everywhere there were children. She glanced at Sean with incredulity. "What's going on?"

"I think I'll let Dad explain." He clasped her hand and pulled her forward. When they reached the porch steps, Fannie said loudly, "Imagine our surprise when we found out we have another celebrity living in our little town. As if a model, three writers, and a rodeo star aren't enough, now we got an artist."

Cecelia's eyes rounded and she searched out Mac standing off to the side. His eyes met hers and she held her breath. Slowly, he smiled and the air rushed from her lungs. When he stepped forward everyone parted. He held his hand out to her. It was a simple gesture that Cecelia knew would set the course for the rest of their lives. Lifting her eyes from Mac's hand to his face, she climbed the steps and reached to hold his hand. With their fingers entwined and their eyes locked, he said, "It was the only way I knew to make you realize how much I love you."

As Mac pulled her toward the front door, Cecelia knew in her heart that she finally had a family of her own.