Chapter 19: Bless the Bird

The aroma of Thanksgiving wafted throughout the house as Cecelia pulled the turkey out to baste it. The pumpkin and apple pies she'd baked early that morning now rested on the counter. Another hour and we'll be blessing this bird.

Glancing around the small kitchen that she'd made efficient and homey during the time she'd been staying with Mac, she felt herself choking up. Another few weeks and her stint would be finished. He had improved greatly in the past week and now had the ability to clench and unclench his hand. He was about to graduate to more intensive exercise therapy and a complete recovery was looking better everyday.

As far as their romantic encounter, neither of them mentioned it, although it was always an invisible force between them.

Cecelia removed salad makings from the fridge and began cutting veggies. She smiled when she thought about Sean. He'd taken to working at the coffee shop like a duck takes to water. He had learned how to mix all the coffee specialties and now was Justin's backup for lunch and breaks. City regulations allowed him to work no more than thirty hours a week, but he hung out at the shop more than he did at home, bringing his laptop to do school lessons after work. He had also made a friend in Cecelia's nephew, Harris, and the boys often met up at the coffee house.

Frustration with Mac made Cecelia sigh. Once, when she had broached the subject of him revealing his identity to Sean, he'd adamantly refused, saying he was protecting the boy. Although she didn't refute it, Cecelia thought it was only partly true. She figured Mac was protecting his own heart because revealing something so important would only anger Sean more. She knew Mac loved his boy, but he'd been reclusive and secretive for so long, he didn't know how to behave differently. Cecelia could see the hurt in his eyes every time his son rejected him. But if there was one thing she knew for a fact, it was that Sean would not embrace his father until he opened his heart to him. It was a vicious cycle.

"That sure smells wonderful," Mac said.

Cecelia had been so wrapped up in her musings that she hadn't heard him enter the kitchen. "I just hope it tastes as good as it smells."

Mac glanced at the pies. "What time did you get up this morning?"

"A little after six."

"You know, I appreciate you staying with us on Thanksgiving, but you should be spending it with your family."

Cecelia reached for a carrot to grate. "I want to celebrate Thanksgiving with you and Sean. When I lived in New York, I had no one to cook for. I always spent the holidays with my parents with lavish meals prepared by their chef. The atmosphere was–" She searched for words, "–regal and stiff." She blushed when she admitted, "I'm loving this."

"But I'm sure the atmosphere is anything but regal at your brother's house with five children."

Cecelia laughed. "That's true. You could call it the opposite of regal. More like chaotic." She winked. "But I couldn't be in charge of the kitchen there."

* * *

The wink that Cecelia gave Mac was so endearing he wanted to sweep her into his arms and kiss her endlessly. Since their kiss, he'd been bombarded by visions of the two of them together, and not in a platonic way. He ground his back teeth and willed those thoughts to the recesses of his mind. Leaning on his cane, he headed toward the coffee pot.

Cecelia said, "Oh, let me pour you a cup."

"No, honey, I've got it." The endearment just slipped out and they both stared at each other.

Sean said from the doorway, "Hey, do you guys need a private moment?"

Mac jerked his mug off the shelf. "Of course not. Come on in."