Chapter 12: Santa's Workshop

Cecelia grinned at her employees, who were now close friends, and said during one of their early morning meetings, "You realize, don't you, that there are only a couple of months until Christmas?"

Julie said, "I love this time of year. When do you want to start decorating?"

"That's just what I wanted to talk about. When did Dixie usually put up the decorations?"

Justin interjected, "Around the middle of November."

"So that means we should make this place look like Santa's workshop in three weeks," Cecelia responded.

"Santa's workshop?" questioned Justin.

Cecelia couldn't contain her excitement. "I've been searching online and found the most awesome decorations for creating Santa's workshop." She opened the folder in her hands and passed out pictures she had downloaded.

Samantha's eyes widened. "It's fantastic! We'll have customers lined out the door."

Cecelia grinned. "And we can create some special treats and drinks for the children. I was thinking of slogans like, Rudolf's hot chocolate to warm your red nose, or Frosty's frosty no more hot apple cider."

Julie clapped her hands. "I love it! And Tilly and Angie will, too! They always get into the Christmas Spirit." She waved the printout. "How soon until Santa's workshop arrives?"

"Well, I wanted to run this by all of you before ordering to make sure you think it's a good idea."

Julie squealed, "It's a wonderful idea!"

Justin and Samantha agreed with big grins and nods.

"I'll order it today. It should be here in plenty of time." Cecelia had one last item on her agenda. "But there's something else we need to discuss." She lifted another printout from her folder. "What would you think about dressing the part?"

Justin reached for the page and his eyes widened. He started laughing. "Is this what you did in New York?"

Cecelia smiled. "Oh, yes. Everyone dressed up in my office. It was fabulous fun. All year we wore stuffy suits and looked like perfect yuppies. But when Christmas came, we turned into every imaginable character. In fact, I brought my costumes with me. I have a couple of elf outfits, a Mrs. Claus dress with a big white apron, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, of course, and Santa's favorite puppy."

"You have a puppy outfit?" Julie laughed.

"It's the cutest thing ever with a big red bow around the neck and a tail that really wags. So, what I'm asking is if ya'll want to dress the part?"

Justin wagged his finger at Cecelia. "Do you know what you just did?"

She creased her brow. "What?"

"You just said, 'ya'll'." He stuck his hand up for a high-five. "You are now officially a cowgirl."

Cecelia slapped her hand against his and felt her heart glow with happiness.

Justin continued, "As for wearing costumes, I refuse to dress as Mrs. Claus, but anything else, I'm game."

"Count me in, too," said Samantha.

"I can't wait," said Julie.

Cecelia said, "Wonderful! I'll bring the costumes in tomorrow and then we can get Mrs. Doolittle to alter them as needed. Of course, if you have your own costume or see something on this printout you like, just let me know. I'll be happy to order more outfits."

* * *

Mac listened to Cecelia humming in the kitchen. For two weeks, he'd been miserable. The burning sensation running from his fingertips to his shoulder had only lessened slightly. It also appeared that he was losing the battle against depression. If he lost his ability to paint he figured his life was over. He'd just shrivel and die within a few years.

Cecelia entered the room carrying a tray. She was a good cook, something that surprised him. He'd figured that her being a rich socialite, she'd had people doing everything for her in New York. She set the tray on the table beside his chair and smiled.

"What's with the humming and grins?" Mac asked crankily. His tone didn't change her countenance.

"Let me get my tray and I'll tell you all about what's happening at the coffee shop."

She returned a few minutes later, sat on the couch across from his recliner, and settled her tray comfortably on her lap. He waited for her to eat the first bite of spaghetti. Twirling the tines of her fork, she lifted noodles dripping with sauce into her mouth. He watched her suck a noodle until it disappeared into her pursing lips. Quickly, he glanced away. He didn't need his body coming awake when he felt like crap.

Cecelia said, "I love Christmas!"

Mac returned his gaze to her happy face.

She took another bite and sucked another noodle. "Sorry about that. I'm a sloppy spaghetti eater."

Mac shifted his gaze away again. "You were saying you love Christmas..."

"Oh, yes. Anyway, I'm making the coffee shop into Santa's workshop for the holidays. I wasn't sure how my employees would feel about it, but they loved the idea! We're even going to dress the part!"

Mac almost smiled at her joyous chatter.

She continued, "I can't wait to see the happy faces on the children. We're creating special drinks and snacks just for them."

"That's nice," he said without much enthusiasm. He felt like Scrooge.

Cecelia didn't seem to notice. She said, "But enough about me. How was your day? Did you do your exercises?"

Mac wanted to answer like a petulant child and say, "Yeah, but they're useless," but he merely responded, "Yes." Cecelia was about to say something when his cell phone rang. He reached for it on his table and frowned. There were only three people he knew who lived in that area code. "Hello."