Chapter 20: Sean and Preston

Cecelia arched into Mac. Everything about the man intoxicated her—his slightly soapy smell, his chiseled face, his longish black hair, his stormy grey eyes that sometimes became azure when he smiled, his love for his child, but most of all, his spirit trying to find its way out of a dark place. She wanted to be his salvation. She wanted her love to rescue this tormented man.

For a long time she caressed him and allowed him access to every secret place in her body and heart. Never had she felt such all-consuming love. And when their bodies joined, she whispered her love.

After their passion was assuaged, Mac lifted slightly above her and kissed her forehead. He moved his mouth to her ear and whispered, "Beautiful Cecelia, your love is misplaced on me. I'm cynical and jaded. I do not believe in happily-ever-afters. But if I did, you would be the one to break me free of my prison."

His words touched Cecelia so much that she brought her lips back to his and said against them, "I expect nothing from you. Like I told you before, I'm here until January. My desire is for you to enjoy the holidays with your son. Can we share this Christmas with Sean without expectations or judgments or thoughts of the future? Can we live in the now for just a few weeks?"

Mac responded without removing his mouth. "When you say it like that, how can I refuse?" He kissed her deeply and rejoined his body to hers.

* * *

Sean waved at Harris as he approached the theater. He was glad to get his mind off his father. The guy was impossible. Before Mac had gotten into one of his funky moods, Sean had actually been enjoying Thanksgiving dinner. He'd even admitted his ability to play music. If he had a kid, he'd sure want to hear him play something. The look on his father's face had said everything—the last thing Mac wanted was to hear Sean play anything. The rejection had hurt so much he'd almost cried.

Sean caught up to Harris who was already standing in line. It wasn't until his friend stepped sideways that he saw Tessa. Harris said, "My mom and dad invited Tessa's family to Thanksgiving at our house and I thought she might like to see the movie, too."

Sean nodded. "Hi, Tessa."

When she gave him her sweet smile, his heart started tripping all over itself and he forgot about his hurt over his dad. He couldn't think of anything else to say. Thankfully, the line started forward and she stepped so that her back was to him. She probably thinks I'm an idiot!

Inside the theater, Harris waved to Toby and Preston, and Sean groaned. He had no trouble telling the twins apart. Preston always eyed him with animosity. He liked Toby, but Preston not so much. The twins walked over and Preston said, "Hi, Tessa. Didn't know you would be here."

Sean thought, What a lame thing to say.

Tessa said, "Hi, Preston. Hi, Toby."

Sean saw Tessa glance across the room and her expression changed slightly. He turned to see whoever or whatever she'd seen. A boy about her age glared at her. Preston said, "Tessa, don't worry about him. If he bothers you, me and Toby will kick his butt."

Sean was all ears at this latest development. When the others started down the hallway toward the movie screens, he leaned toward Harris and whispered, "What was that all about?"

Harris whispered back. "That guy is a real jerk. His name is Jared and he likes to make Tessa's life miserable. He calls her Tubby Tessa."

Sean jerked his head around to stare at Jared and then back at Harris.

Harris nodded. "Yeah. He's a creep. I guess no one knew about his bullying until he slipped up and Tessa's stepmom caught him. My mom was there and the way she tells it, Mrs. Branigan lit into the kid something terrible. Tessa's dad contacted the guy's parents and he caught holy hell. Although Tessa's never said anything, I think he still gives her a bad time when no one's around to hear."