Prologue: The Bridge

Hermione thought her heart would beat out of her rib cage any moment. The Hogwarts Courtyard was illuminated by dozens of flashing spells, throwing blue, red, purple and green reflections onto piles of forgotten rubble. Hermione had resigned at this point to not look down, as she would most likely see someone she knew lying dead, or bleeding out from a Sectumsempra. (The horrible spell seemed to be a favorite among Death Eaters, and Hermione had blocked a few herself in the past hour.)
Ducking under an out of control purple beam, Hermione hurried behind a granite column, leaning around it's edge to look into the courtyard for the soul she was desperately searching for. Ronald Weasley was nowhere to be found. Harry was already gone, and Hermione felt slightly lost without any of her companions.
She was - of course - able to protect herself from harm with no trouble - she certainly wasn't the brightest witch of her age for nothing. But Hermione knew that seeing her boyfriend alive would give her some peace of mind. She already knew that Mrs. Weasley, Ginny, the Twins and Luna Lovegood were all duking it out in the Great Hall, but Ron hadn't been there with them.
Sighing deeply in the midst of the chaos, Hermione moved to a different column, followed by another and another. If a Death Eater came too close she would zap them silently with a 'Petrificus Totalus' and continue on her way as quickly as possible. If Ron wasn't fighting in the courtyard, he may have moved onto the Viaduct Bridge. Hermione knew already that Death Eaters were still arriving by the dozens, armed with Trolls, Giants, Dementors and other creatures via the entrance. If something didn't happen soon, she didn't know how much longer the school could hold out. Professor Lupin was already dead, as were several other professors and students alike.
Hermione forced her eyes shut, swallowing the emotions boiling up into her throat as she darted quickly onto the bridge leading to the castle. Like the yard, people were fighting all over, though the spells were less chaotic, but also not easily dodged. But at very back of the crowd, Hermione could see a head of familiar carrot hair, having at it with a very brawny werewolf. Finrir Greyback was a fierce opponent, and someone Hermione utterly despised. Blocking a few curses and rolling under less effective charms; Hermione made her way towards Ron. The blood was rushing through her ears as he was struck in the chest by a fist, sending him sprawling backwards as Greyback laughed,

"Bombarda!"

Hermione's explosion was strong, knocking the werewolf off his feet and to the stones as she ran to Ron and cast a small healing charm. He looked ok, if not for the bruise which would be forming on his chest in the morning,

"Bloody hell, Hermione. What are you doing here?"

"Helping you,"

Hermione lifted Ron to his feet as Greyback stood as well, marble eyes glinting as he showed his rows of sharp teeth. Ron stood in front of Hermione protectively, even if he knew there was no way to ensure her protection,

"You stay away from her!" Ron snapped, sending another few spells at the werewolf which he dodged easily. Hermione felt better that Ron was here, alive and breathing. But she didn't notice the tall, slender figure with black curls whom had apparated onto the bridge. Hermione heard the killing curse spoken, and she saw the light flash in her eyes, but she didn't feel the pain. She only managed to stumble backwards into the railing of the bridge, the loose mortar crumbling weakly under her sudden weight. Then she was falling, staring up as Ron reached out a hand, only to be pulled away by Greyback.
The last thing Hermione saw was the crazed face of Bellatrix Lestrange before everything went black around her.