1. It's The Beginning

The sun's rays were falling through the window in a shimmering cascade. Even beyond the window, the sun brightened every newly budding flower and the long grass, which was in need of a cut. A breeze passed over the garden and the tree's nimble branches swayed in harmony.

        Emerald was still lost in her thoughts of years past and how she had become a lonely person. The photo she kept close to her heart all those years had given her the courage to live. That dreadful incident that took everything from her. She could see the world through her eyes, but inside her heart, it was a dark, faded place. The melody of birds singing and the voice of the moving leaves, she could only feel them. She could not hear their gloriously simple sounds until she moved closer to them. The world she lived in was dark and horrifying. She knew that, no matter what happened, the past could never change and life would always go on the same.

        It was 1991 in the Netherlands and Mr. Morgan, Emerald's father, was appointed as a political leader for the Dutch government. It was the middle of November and after winning his place, he soon became an important member.

        "I can't believe it, honey! Our days are turning and we are going to be a happy family at last," said Mrs. Morgan, placing a kiss on Morgan's cheek as the little girl hiding behind the table looked at her parents.

        "Emerald! My love, when did you wake up? We are going to a new house, and your dad is now going to be in news and a widely known man," she said gently to Emerald, who was a five-year-old little girl. Emerald was the only daughter of the Morgans and they loved her very much. She was the little angel of the family and was treated as the princess.

        "Yes, Mama, I want to see Daddy in the newspaper. Are we going to a new house now, Mama?" Her eyes sparkled with joy upon hearing about her father's place. Mr. Morgan and his family soon moved to Amsterdam. Mr. Morgan became involved with the country's internal affairs so much that he had no time for his daughter and wife.

        "Andrew, I know your work is important, but look at Emerald; she is small and she needs you! She waits for you every day!" Mrs. Morgan snorted with anger as she saw Emerald sleeping, waiting for her dad.

        "I am sorry, my little angel. Daddy will take you to Wonderland tomorrow," he gently kissed her forehead. This day was the worst for the Morgan family. The darkest days of their family had just begun.

        Mrs. Morgan was the only person Emerald was attached to and she loved her mother deeply. The beauty of her mother could simply not be explained in words. She was tall with dark brown hair that fell over her shoulders and hazel eyes lit up a perfectly pointed face. She had sugary sweet lips, with a wonderful, bubbly, protective, loving character.

        Emerald was just like, and even more, charming and beautiful than her mother was. The girl had long, straight, light brown hair with a fair skin tone and a smooth, charming face. Though she was still but a child, her features were even more promising than her mother's had been when she was young.

                             ***

       "Here we go!" Mr. Morgan shouted as they all sat in the car to head off to Wonderland. The road to the city was rather hilly and rocky. Precautions were to be taken while driving in that area. The weather was rough and rain had started but it was slow rain; enough to make the road slippery and make the windows nearly impossible to look out. Thankfully the windshield wipers were working and Mr.Morgan could at least see a bit in front of the car.

        "Honey, be careful!" Mrs. Morgan told her husband even as he drove safely. Emerald was oblivious and sat in the back seat enjoying the kid's show playing on the radio.