2. Annual Spring Festival

Spring had arrived and everything was beautiful and shimmering. They were in Amsterdam, the city Emerald was born into.  Memories returned to her about how she and her parents had been before the accident. This was the city where she used to live once with her family. Her childhood seemed so clear to her that tears began to fall from her eyes. Her father lived in a very far area, close to the country side. Emerald was still lost in her thoughts, not knowing what to talk about. 

        "Are you enjoying the ride, Emerald? We will be at the house soon, my darling," Mr. Morgan said politely to Emerald who seemed oblivious to what he just said.

        Emerald didn't respond to him but rather looked outside. Somehow, she still hated him for what he did to her. Emerald deeply sighed now desperately waiting to see where she would be living.

        They arrived to the most unpolluted area near the sea-side. Two rows of houses lined the beach, most made of a light colored wood and propped up in a way that flooding would not ruin them. 

        Mr. Morgan had been living near the sea ever since his recovery from the dreadful car accident. Apart and far away from the rush area. He wanted peace and relaxation so he decided to stay here. The driver opened the car door for Emerald. Three heavyset guards followed them.

        "Welcome home!" Mr. Morgan said in a jolly voice, bowing down to his daughter. The house was decorated with bright flowers and painted streaks of lightning. It seemed that Mr. Morgan had prepared everything for his daughter's welcome. Emerald rolled her eyes even as her mouth hung open. She had no emotions or feelings beyond shock so she remained quite.

        "Do you like it? Emerald? This our house; me and you! Remember, you always wanted to live somewhere near the sea so you could see the rainbows and sunset clearly?" Mr. Morgan remarked, trying to put a smile on Emerald's face.

        "I don't remember ever saying anything like that. And if you excuse me, please show me my room so I can just go and rest!" she groaned, scrunching up her face in anger.

        "Yes, my love," he said, smiling and ignoring his daughter's awful behavior.

        The house was as large as a castle. There were many rooms and halls on the main floor and Emerald's room was supposed to be upstairs. The house seemed to be built of pure timber wood and glass windows. There were few pictures that were hung on the walls, most of sunsets and forests. Everything was tidy and in place; as orderly as it gets. 

        As Emerald walked around, she spotted guards, cooks, and maids watching her as they waited for orders.

        "This your home now, you can do whatever you like; play music, study, watch TV; truly anything," Mr. Morgan told Emerald who was still glaring at the big house.

        "Fine! Right now I wanna get rid of these dirty pants! So if you please show me my room so I can change! And, I'd do anything anyways!" she growled.

        A maid named Anna showed Emerald her room and she quickly slammed the door. The room was painted just as sea green as the real thing, of which she had a perfect view of thanks to the entirely glass wall that faced the beach.

        "This is freaking crazy! I can't believe I am going to be living here with my dad, after all that time he left me! He is such a jerk!" she murmured to herself.

        Throwing her things on the soft bed and unpacking her bags, she opened the window and looked outside. Her room was large, with a king sized bed and a big mirror hanging in the corner. Outside her window was the window of a house next door. The house must have been closed for years; primer was chipping on the outside and Emerald could see the multitude of cobwebs cluttering the window across from hers. It seemed nobody had lived there for many years. After having a close look of her room she calmed herself and quickly slept.