Epilogue: The Flame in My Heart

A/N: An epilogue (and a rather ambiguous one, at that) to conclude the entire series. The story is now complete! Again, thank you for all the kind words!

--

A cold gust of wind blew across a plateau field within the Leaf, rattling the trees and grass from their still composure.

The girl with the red rimmed glasses cursed under breath as a merciless shiver shot down her entire body. "-So as I was saying," She continued through her chattering teeth, "At this rate, I don't even get the time to sit down and have a nice bowl of ramen. Uncle Naruto keeps telling me how Ichiraku now has a branch shop and their business has been really good. Ah.. I guess that means we won't be seeing much of him lately."

Sarada's lips curled into a benevolent smile. ".. But on the other hand, guess what? The Ninja Weapons Army is currently investigating something called a Jikan Arcana. They're trying to see if they can do a remodelling on it, and if the beta version works out, then.."

Her eyes rested on the rusty plaque planted in the ground at the front of her knees, the bold letters still clear and distinct despite the aged metal.

"-We just might be able to see you again, Uncle Itachi."

The Uchiha heiress paused for a few seconds, letting the memories of her past catch up to her. "It's been quite a long time since I found out the truth about our clan." She started, ".. How have you been doing? I wonder if heaven is still treating you well?"

Another cold gust of wind subsequently embodied the air, filling the dead silence with its sharp whispers. She didn't fight it, but instead let it blow strands of hair against her face.

"Don't worry about us. Mom and dad are doing fine. Dad managed to give me an earful the other day, even though I'm not a little kid anymore." She continued. "Sorry, but I don't think he's going to join you any time soon. Both of my parents are still as invincible as ever."

"Don't you think it's a bit brutal to apologize for your father still being alive?"

Immediately, her eyebrows furrowed at the male voice coming from the side, though she didn't turn to face it. "I didn't mean it that way, idiot. But come to think of it, aren't you going to say anything instead of standing there the entire time?"

Just then, she jolted her gaze to the right, making eye contact with a blonde man who casually leaned against a nearby tree with his arms crossed. He wore an evident expression of discontent on his face.

"Uh, no." Boruto spoke. "Because recently we've come here almost every single day with you saying the same things but with different words. Besides, I've already said everything I wanted during the first few times we've visited. You really should be focusing your business elsewhere.. Seeing as you're probably putting Itachi to sleep right now."

Sarada scowled. "What if he didn't hear them the first time?"

Are you kidding me? We've been here for nearly two hours. Boruto sighed. "Seriously, what kind of a person would I be if I keep letting you run around like this?"

"You know what's weird?" The Uchiha heiress cocked her head to the side in amusement. ".. The fact that you've become such a duty-bound person. I swear, if it were back when you were still a bratty Genin, I'd probably be the one chasing you around."

Boruto shot her another look of dissatisfaction. "You know it's because I care. And don't call me a brat."

"But you were." Sarada chuckled briefly, then paused. "Sorry, I know. Recently, I've just been thinking about the past a lot. If only he were still here.." She glanced at the metal plaque, "It'd be a lot easier for me to talk to him and catch up on everything."

"He's resting well." The blonde boy said, "I'm sure of it. Especially after knowing what kind of a person you've become."

"Yeah? I hope so too."

A peaceful atmosphere waved through the breezy air, one that allowed the two of them to enjoy the following moments in comfortable silence.

"So, who are our troublemakers with today? I didn't get to see them off this morning." Sarada said, breaking the silence with her tone shifting into a more joyful sound.

"Sasuke and Sakura have em today. They somehow managed to age my old man 100 years when he tried to take them out the other day."

At this, she laughed once more. "Things always go awry when Naruto has them. Rest assured, they wouldn't dare misbehave in front of Sasuke." She said, "Funny how back in our days we were so adamant about how our parents were rarely home. Sometimes I feel like we're not any different now."

"Well, it can't be helped." Boruto shifted himself away from the tree, walking his way closer towards her before he then stood at her side, peering his head down to meet her eyes. "Besides, that's not true. If anything, you know how much they love that you're showing the world what it really means to be a Uchiha."

At this, Sarada couldn't fight the smile off her face.

"Did you hear that, Uncle Itachi?" Her attention darted back onto the gravestone. "I'll have you know, I'm doing a hell of a good job at it, too."

She didn't see that Boruto had rolled his eyes at her overly confident remark. But he grinned because he knew it was true.

Just then, he watched as Sarada began to hoist herself up from her knees. She shielded her face from another large gust of wind that broke out, sending the crows flying from the nearby trees.

"Until next time, then." She gave her uncle a single nod before looking back at her partner, who did the same thing before shifting his body towards other direction and beginning his walk.

It wasn't long until Sarada began to follow closely from behind, taking one last look at her uncle before shifting her gaze back up ahead. She continued on in a dauntless stride, her right hand man by her side and her shoulders remaining tall as the cloak of the Fire Nation rippled vigorously against the raw autumn wind.