Chapter 2: Ours

- 1 Week Old -

I sat in the car and stared out the window as Justin drove past the city. We had to leave Taylor at the hospital for two more days so that Meghan knew for sure that everything would be okay.

I hated it, but I wanted my baby to be healthy.

"How do you feel?"

I glanced over at Justin who was staring out the front window with both hands on the steering wheel.

I shrugged, "I'm okay. I wish we could have brought her home."

"Now we have some time to settle in before she comes though." He sounded like he had a plan, "We have two days. That's all we have to wait."

I bit my cheek and nodded.

I didn't want to wait two days...

******

I was so happy to be home. My soft, yet thick and heavy comforter. My soft and fluffy memory foam pillows. My own toilet.

I was mostly happy to be able to cook my own meals and no longer have to choke down the nasty hospital food.

But when The walk from the car to the bedroom then back to the kitchen exhausted me. I was panting when I walked into the living area and sat down beside Justin.

"I'm so tired." I mumbled, "This shit is hard."

"What? Walking?" He mumbled with a smile. He was on his phone but he immediately put it down when I sat down.

I rolled my eyes and wanted to reply with a sarcastic answer, but couldn't think of anything.

"Are you hungry?"

I nodded at him and touched my still swollen belly. I still looked about 5 months pregnant and sort of like a deflated balloon. It was gross.

"I think so."

He stared at me, "What do you want?"

"Spicy Thai."

I heard him laugh and then his arm draped over my shoulders. I felt his lips on my cheek.

"I'll order it." Then he pushed himself off the couch and walked into the kitchen. I closed my eyes to listen as he dialled the phone number and then started speaking into the phone.

Automatically, my hands moved to touch my belly but I quickly flinched away and opened my eyes.

Justin walked into the room again and stared at me, "It's ordered. Should be here in 20 minutes."

I smiled at him, "Yay."

He laughed and flopped back down beside me then kicked his feet up onto the couch and put his head in my lap. I put my hands on his head then started running them through his hair. He closed his eyes and smiled.

I sighed and let my eyes drift closed.

We never made it to our bed that night. Instead we fell asleep there. The Thai food must have come too but we were both so exhausted, neither of us woke up.

It was the first night in the last 4 months I had gotten a decent nights sleep.

******

I crossed my arms as Justin pulled down another car seat from the shelf.

My bottom lip stick out in a pout before I shrugged, "It's cute, but it's green."

"So?"

"People will think she's a boy."