Time

When Amelia didn't hear the steps following her, she turned around. 

"Reed? Are you coming?"

Reed looked at Amelia. 

"Amelia, is this a  . . .date?" asked Reed. 

Amelia's face heated up at the clear question. She thought it was a date. It was what she wanted since she walked into Reed's shop and saw him tending to bed of bright pink violets. What if he didn't see it as a date? Still, he had taken the chance to ask. So she was going to take the chance and answer. 

"Yes." She stared in his eyes, daring him to say otherwise. 

"So you are single?"

Amelia scrunched her eyebrows before laughing. 

"Yes. If I wasn't, I would not have asked you to stay. Where did you get the idea otherwise?"

Reed looked at her as if the answer was obvious. 

"Why would you have clothes that fit me unless it was for a man?"

"Oh! My brother sometimes leaves his clothes at my house. He is about your size if not your height."

Reed let out a sigh of relief. 

"Ready?"   Reed nodded and followed Amelia in. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amelia ran around the kitchen, trying to throw something together. She could hear the creaks and groans of the pipes as it supplied water for Reed's shower. She decided on a stir-fry. It worked perfectly. She had some meat and frozen vegetables that she threw in her wok. 

Sure, it would have looked better if she had chopped up fresh veggies and hadn't had to defrost the meat that she had thrown in the freezer two days ago.  She would have shown him her culinary expertise if 1) she had any and 2) she had known about this at least a day in advance. So beggars can't be choosers. 

She was finished with the rice by the time Reed made it downstairs. Reed's brown hair had become curly due to the water. And it was adorable. She wished that she could run her hands through it. 

"Smells good," said Reed as he walked into the kitchen. 

"I hope you like beef stir-fry. Crap, are you a vegetarian? I didn't ask you."

This time, Reed laughed. "No. I like meat." 

"Good. Why don't you have a seat?"

Reed walked over to the small round table in the corner of the kitchen. He sat down. Amelia rushed around, bringing cups and prepared plates of food to the table. 

"Do you need help?"

Amelia shook her head. "No, please. You are my guest. I've got it."

A few minutes later, everything was set up.  Amelia sat down across from Reed. There was quietness before they began to eat. Amelia was nervous this was the first time someone other than her family had eaten her food. Her family didn't count though. They would have eaten her food even if it tasted like absolute crap. 

"It's good," mumbled Reed as he began to eat. 

"Thank goodness. I mean, I would eat it, but I made it. I can suffer through it."

Reed smiled, his pearly whites peeking out through his thin lips. 

"I'm sure you are an expert at this though. You seem to be an expert at everything."

"I wouldn't think so. Why do you?"

Reed stirred the meat and veggies into the rice further before continuing. He didn't want to show his insecurity so easily, but she had to at least have some doubts about him. Maybe it was better to get the truth out now before they took this further. He couldn't wait down the line to find out that she was just stringing him along. 

He could see a real future with Amelia. He just. . . .he just needed to know if she saw a possibility with him too. 

"You're a doctor. Not anyone can become one of those."

Amelia sighed as she sipped her water. 

"Yeah, kinda. I'm actually a resident. Not a full-fledged doctor in my own right."

Reed chewed on a piece of beef before continuing. 

"Did you go to medical school?"

"Yes."

"Do you work in a hospital?"

"Yes."

"Are you called Dr.?"

"Yes."

"Then, you are a doctor. You don't need to tone it down for me. I get it."

Amelia carefully put down her fork before  she looked back at Reed. The dinner started off so nicely. Reed was his normal quiet self, but charming. Now, she was wondering if he was mad about her being a doctor. He knew she was a doctor before the dinner. She had worked hard for it, but somehow his tone made it seem like he disapproved even though his words said the opposite.

"Get what, Reed?" 

 "I just wonder why you are with me?"

"I like you.  Why else?"

Reed picked at the food, but did not answer. Amelia didn't understand what was wrong with him, but she didn't like it. She shouldn't have to apologize or explain herself. So she did what she seldom did. She stood up for herself. 

"Reed, I think you should go."

Reed looked up in surprise. "Wait a second, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I just don't understand why you would want to date me. I didn't go to some fancy college. I barely graduated high school."

Amelia understood. She grabbed Reed's hand across the table. 

"I want to get to know you because you seem like a good guy." She squeezed his hand and smiled. "Except now. Now, you are being an ass." Then, she pulled her away.

Reed felt instantly embarrassed. He was messing this up completely."

"Maybe you should leave." This time, Amelia didn't take no for an answer. She stood up, taking both of the plates with her. Her back was to Reed and she refused to turn back around. Reed took that as his answer and left. 

As  he walked out the door, he whispered, "I'm sorry."

Amelia didn't say anything, but watched in silence as Reed drove away. 

The Smart Sisterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें