Eternis Interruptus

"Why didn't you answer me?" said Cole angrily when Amelia did open the door. She knew saying she was in haze of lust would not go over well, but Amelia was not a good liar. Fiona was an expert of coming up with something on the fly. Christiana would joke her way out. Amelia floundered.

"Well, I . . ." Cole stared her down. 

"It doesn't matter. You shouldn't try to bust down my door."

"Are you going to let me in?" said Cole as he tried to push the door open, but Amelia held firm. This just made Cole more suspicious. Amelia stepped back and let the door open. Reed stood silently near the couch in his tattered flannel shirt over his work shirt and worn jeans. Cole didn't say a word, but walked straight to Reed. The men contrasted greatly. Cole was dressed to the nines in an obvious tailored dark blue business suit. Cole stood with his hands in his pockets as he looked down at Reed. To his credit, Reed stood straight as Cole judged him.

"Who are you?" asked Cole. Amelia took this as her cue to step up.

"This is Reed Sullivan. He's my . . ."

Gardener. Boyfriend. Were they there yet? Forget that, which one would Cole respond better to.

Reed cleared his throat and held out his hand. "Hi, I'm Amelia's boyfriend."

Cole ignored Reed's hand and turned to Amelia. "Where did you meet him?"

"Cole! He is trying to be nice. Shake his hand."

Cole rolled his eyes before turning back to Reed. He looked down at Reed's hand and grabbed it with a strong grip.

"Hi. Reed, is it? I'm Amelia's big brother. Cole Delafield. How long have you guys been dating?"

Reed tried to hide a wince at the strong grip of Cole's hand. He pulled his hand away.

"Just a few weeks now."

Cole smiled, but Amelia wondered about that. Cole didn't like anyone with his sisters, so that smile could only spell trouble. Cole threw his arm around Reed's shoulder and guided him to sit on the couch. If only he knew what happened on that couch, he wouldn't sit down, but he didn't. So, Cole sat down beside Reed. Reed tried to turn to Amelia, but Cole called his attention back.Amelia decided to wait and see, so she sat in the nearby recliner. 

"So you guys are new? What do you do?" 

"I guess. Umm.  . .my family owns a nursery and florist shop. I help out landscaping companies on the side."

"Hmm. Well, I respect family businesses. I want my company to be kept in my family. Did Amelia tell you what I do?"

Of course, she didn't. Reed was nervous at the money Amelia might be making, but Cole's picture on Forbes magazine was a new level of wealth. Reed would have ran and never stopped if he realized the real extent of the family's wealth. 

Reed shook his head. 

"I am a venture capitalist. In layman's terms, I invest money in small companies and such to expand. My future brother-in-law works with me as well."

"Oh," said Reed as he stiffened. Amelia could see him crawling back in his shell. 

"That's enough, Cole. Why are you here anyway?" Amelia walked to Reed and laid her hand on his shoulder. She could feel him trying to pull away, but he let her keep her hand there. 

Cole stood and straightened his jacket. "You missed Fiona's birthday dinner. We thought something must be wrong. You never miss family gatherings. But I'll let Fiona know that you had other priorities. Why my sisters won't introduce me to their new  .  . .beaus continues to confound me. I mean, if there is nothing wrong with them, why not?"

Then, Cole left with clear damage done. No greetings goodbye or anything. He had said more than enough. 

"Reed?" Amelia sat in the place that Cole had once occupied. The mood was suddenly gone. 

"Say something."

"What should I say? Why didn't you introduce me to him? Does he have a point?" asked Reed, but he looked down at his hands in his lap. His tone was quiet, but calm. That worried Amelia more. 

"No! You should know that." Amelia stood up and motioned toward the door her brother had left. "You saw him. He is very judgmental especially with the guys me and my sisters choose to date." Amelia sat back down and grabbed Reed's hand. He looked up in her eyes. He needed to see the sincerity in her own as she told this story. 

"My parents died in a car accident when I was still a little girl. My brother was a freshman in college at the time. Most guys at that age would have just visited us in a foster home or something. My brother fought for our custody. He did it all. Went to class and worked while suing for custody of me and my two sisters. The judge was fine with my older sisters staying with them because they were practically grown, but he thought my brother was too young to raise an 8 year old. It took twice as long to get me. My brother visited me every other day without fail until he gained custody. So, he is protective because he is practically our father." 

Amelia took a deep breath as she remembered the uncertainty of those years. First, hearing that your parents had died. Then, finding out you couldn't be with your family, but had to live with strangers. It was rough time for her. It was only the constant influence of her brother that kept her on the right track when she could have let the despair drag her down.

"Still, he can be wrong. He just needs to see what I see to get how great you are," said Amelia as she squeezed his hands. 

"Well, I guess I have a lot to do to prove it to him, right?" said Reed. Amelia looked up at him, tears in her eyes. Reed leaned over and kissed her with passion. It was like he was letting her know his love for her in that one kiss. She hoped it was love. And not pity. Like everyone else who heard her orphan story. 

"If he means that much to you, then I will convince him that this thing with us will last."

"Thank you," whispered Amelia. 

"Let me show you first," said Reed as she stood. He held onto her hand and led her into the bedroom. He slowly slipped her clothes off and laid her on the bed. 

"Don't you want to take off your clothes?" asked Amelia as Reed stalked to her. 

"This is for you." He laid kisses down her body. 

"Reed!"