Gift/Curse

What Dr. Marchand said didn't sink in until the end of her shift. At first, she was just focused on his last sentence. 

You should rethink your position. 

She had always wanted to be a doctor. There was no question. When she graduated high school, she knew her undergrad college would be one that was a gateway to the top medical schools. It seemed destiny to her that she would be top of her class. And she was. It was a clear path to success until it was not. 

What did you do when you see yourself as something and then nothing? Is this how her sisters felt? Now, she understood. Her sister Fiona had always been so confident that Amelia never understood why she would take a hiatus, but maybe there was more. Now, Amelia understood why Christiana was in despair. 

The whole speech was on repeat, but then her brain finally processed the real meaning. Dr. Marchand had said that she asked for the easy way out, but she didn't. She had wanted to show him she could do this. So, who had asked for her or lied about her?

Rather than wait, she decided to get her answers now. She needed to know and remedy the situation. So, she marched back to Dr. Marchand's office. She knocked on his door, hoping that he was still there. His shift had been earlier than hers, so he could have already left. 

"Come in," he said. His voice muffled by the wooden door. 

Amelia braced herself as she walked in. She walked straight up to his desk, but didn't take a seat. She needed to maintain her fire. 

"Ms. Delafield."  Somehow, he managed to make her name sound as if he was physically in pain. Amelia tried to hold back a wince. She would never gain his admiration, but she would gain at least his respect. 

"Dr. Marchand, you said that I asked for the easy way, but I assure you that I didn't. So I was wondering what gave you the notion that I did." 

Dr. Marchand rubbed at his temple. "I was not given a notion. I was told quite directly that you were to have the lower risk assignments."

"If you don't mind me asking, by who?"

"Dr. Engels let me know. If you wanted a change, you should have just come to me. Not go over my head."

Amelia was stunned. She barely even knew Dr. Engels. She hadn't even seen her since that day with the weird conversation where she asked about Christiana. 

"I did no such thing." She threw her hand against her heart. "I promise you. I didn't do anything. I listened to what you said. I wanted to be better."

His eyes squinted as if he were trying to read her. He probably thought she was lying, but Amelia stood firm. 

"Ms. Delafield, I am beginning to believe you, but. . . " Dr. Marchand squirmed in his chair. "Dr. Engels still asked. Although I prefer not to be a part of hospital politics, she holds a great sway here. If she told me to put you back in my regular rotation, I would, but for now I can't. I'm sorry." 

Amelia was furious when she left. A random lady was intruding on her career. She saw big things in her future, but if people thought she was pulling strings, she would never be fully  accepted. She hated it when Cole did it and she still hated it now. 

Still, she was clear enough to know that going to Dr. Engels office in her current state would only end badly, so she went to the break room to blow off steam. 

There was Ebony, ready to help. 

"What's wrong with you? I can practically see the steam coming from your ears." 

"Are you busy?"

"No more than usual. I've got at least a few minutes."

"Let's go to the roof." Ebony nodded and followed Amelia. 

The hospital roof was not decorated with a garden or anything, but had a few benches scattered about. Both women often came up here to get away from it all. They sat down on a bench near the door in case they needed to leave at a moment's notice. 

"What's up?" 

"Well, I don't know if you noticed, but Marchand has been going easy on me." Amelia watched Ebony's face closely. Amelia had to say that she felt closest to Ebony than any of the other residents. They looked out for each other, which meant a lot in a world where people would step over each other for just a snippet of recognition. They had just clicked when they met in medical school. It was pure luck and careful planning that had allowed them to stick together. 

So Amelia could read Ebony pretty well. She was avoiding eye contact as she nodded quietly. 

"Say it, Ebony."

"I don't . . ."

"Don't!" Amelia glared at Ebony.

"Fine, I noticed."

"Ebony! Why didn't you say anything?"  Amelia threw up her hands in frustration. 

"Why didn't you?" Ebony threw back. 

"Well, I was embarrassed. Look at you. You are running from one patient to the next due to emergencies. My biggest emergency is that one of my patients is not listening to the nurse. Hardly, mind-boggling work here. Even stupid Chet gets high-risk cases. I mean, Chet. Just watching him puffing his damn feathers makes me physically ill."

Ebony laughed at the surprising behavior of sweet Amelia. This was not something she was used to seeing. 

"Why didn't you talk to him?"

"I did today. Get this? Dr. Engels asked him."

That shut Ebony up quickly. 

"Why?" she asked with surprise evident in her eyes. 

"That's what I want to know!" Amelia leaned back in the chair, looking to the sky for answers.