Immediate Family Only

Once they were in, Amelia looked around to find her siblings at Cavelli's, her brother's favorite spot. Soft, music played in the background as dimmed lights illuminated just enough. People were laughing and generally enjoying the atmosphere.  

"I don't see them, but they texted me that they were here already. "

A waiter came up to them. "Ms. Delafield?"

Amelia nodded. 

"Your siblings are waiting for you in the back booth. The owner wanted to make sure to preserve your privacy. Please follow me."

Reed put his hand against Amelia's back as the waiter guided them past the other patrons. It wasn't  until they got to a curtain that Amelia could feel the stares against her back. The waiter pulled the curtain aside to display a raised booth with her siblings. 

"Hey sis," said Christiana as she scooted over. Amelia and Reed slid into the booth and the waiter closed the curtain. 

Reed stared silently at the three siblings. They were formidable. Cole still looked unamused. Fiona was dressed to the nines in what Amelia could see was a halter top dress. Even Christi was wearing a strapless jumpsuit of some kind. They all looked gorgeous. Amelia tried to paste on  a smile. 

"So guys, this is Reed. Reed, these are my sisters. You already met Cole, but this is Fiona and Christiana."

Reed nodded and then sat stiffly.  

Fiona, ever the people-person tried to pick up the conversation. 

"Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," responded Reed. 

"Why don't we order something now that we are all here," said Fiona as she looked to Cole. Cole struggled to open the curtains. His irritation was evident and Amelia was sure it was not just the curtain. 

"Stupid curtain. This is all your fault, Fi," said Cole. He finally managed to open the curtain and flag down the waiter. 

"What is he talking about?" asked Amelia. 

"Ever since that Oscar nomination, I have gotten a lot of attention. "

"We could barely get to the table because the crowd was so big," complained Christi. 

Amelia was happy for her sister. She had been in the film industry since her early 20s, but had only just gotten recognized for her talent. She may not have won the award for best actress, but the movie she was nominated for was spectacular. Rather than her usual blonde bimbo role, Fiona played a wife who just discovered her husband was a serial killer and had to deal with the aftermath. Rather focus on the suspense of living with a serial killer, it focused on the family left behind as they struggled to pick up the pieces.

"That reminds me where is Brick or even Danny?" asked Amelia. 

"Danny had to go to the Senator's house. I didn't want to go to that stuffy old man's place, so . . .yeah," added Christiana about her fiance. 

"What are you going to do when you guys get married? You can't avoid your in-laws forever."

"But I can try," snorted Christi, which gained a laugh from the group. 

"Brick is hanging out with his brothers. I told him to take a break. That man is way too serious."

Amelia nodded just as the waiter came. She had barely glanced at the menu, but she always came here with her brother, so she had some idea what she wanted. Instead, she turned to see how Reed was doing.