Chapter 4

May 17th 2016

Horatio woke up before Hamlet, to the sound of a phone ringing. He rolled over, and picked up.

"Hello?" he said, groggily.

"Hello. This is the Police. Is this Hamlet Hamletson speaking?"

"No," Horatio replied, still half asleep, "it's Horatio, his boyfriend. What do you want?"

"We need you to to come to our station as soon as possible. It's about Ophelia."

Horatio was fully awake now. He thanked the officer for calling them, and hung up. He woke up Hamlet, saying they needed to visit the Police Station, but was careful not to mention the reason why. Hamlet, who wasn't completely awake, just went along with it and got ready.

Within half an hour, they were both at the Police Station.

The two boyfriends waited in the police station lobby. Soon a policed detective came out and asked Hamlet to come in his office with him. He said he had news. Hamlet and Horatio followed the detective into his office. They sat down together on the opposite side of the desk as the detective, whose name was Detective Laertes. Hamlet remembered him from two years ago, Laertes was the head of the investigation team for Ophelia's disappearance.

"It's good to see you again Mr. Hamletson. I know it's been two years since we spoke last about Ophelia's disappearance but-"

"Wait, this is about Ophelia?" Hamlet turned to Horatio, "Why didn't you tell me?"

Horatio said, "Sorry, I didn't think you'd come if you knew what this was really about."

Hamlet was really mad but he just muttered, "We'll talk about this later," then he looked up to the detective, "What was it you wanted to tell me?"

"Well," Laertes continued, "A civilian was walking through the forest with his kids and he found a pile of bloody clothes stashed in a log. He called the police and we did a DNA test on it. The blood matches up with Ophelia's."

Hamlet was in shock. "No! It can't be true! Ophelia is fine," he muttered, too himself.

"I'm sorry to say, but it's certainly Ophelia's blood. The DNA matches hers exactly, and only identical twins share DNA."

"And she didn't have any siblings, did she, Hamlet?" Horatio interrupted.

"I don't actually know," Hamlet began, "she was abandoned when she was only around a month old."

"Right," continued Detective Laertes, " and for that reason, we don't have any records for Ophelia's birth family. So it is completely possible that she has a twin; however, that is highly unlikely. Twins only occur in 1.2% of births."

Horatio nodded, slowly. "Alright.... Was there anything else?"

"No, that is all. Do you have any questions?" Laertes asked.

"No, I think we both understand." Hamlet replied, glancing over at Horatio, who nodded in agreement. "Come on, let's go."