Chapter One

New York,1904-

She knew that these shiny machines were supposed to be amazing, but Cress LeCourtier didn't think that waiting an hour for it to arrive was an improvement.

Shuffling her feet nervously, she glanced at the clock to her left. 2:15, already so late. Her appointment, the meeting, all ruined.

Cress sniffed and glanced down, eyeing the contents of her purse again to make sure everything was still there. She'd already checked 6 times, but she figured it wouldn't hurt to check once more.

"If you don't mind me saying, it looks to me like you might be a bit lost."

Cress whirled around, her eyes wide, clutching the purse to her chest as fear pumped through her.

"My apologies, I didn't mean to startle you." He said, walking towards the empty seat next to her.

"Oh dear no, I mean- uh, that seat is taken, sir." She all but whimpered. He was the tallest kind of monster she'd ever seen, with wild dark hair slicked back. His suit was the darkest shade of navy you could imagine, and to her, it seemed to make him sinister.

He ignored her though, sitting down so abruptly the new seat creaked.

"What belongs in that purse of yours for you to be clutching it so tightly?" She turned to glare at him with all the courage her tiny body could muster.

"Sir, if you don't mind me saying, you seem a little too eager to know things that aren't yours to know." Her face betrayed her, flushing a bright scarlet.

He raised his eyebrows, as if to dare her to glare at him. She was shocked, more than she'd ever been. Never had a gentleman spoken out to a lady in front of her, never. Times were changing, this was true, but she'd hoped people would maintain a style of decency. Of course, to most people, her hopes didn't mean anything.

Cress shifted nervously in her seat, too terrified to meet his cold gaze.

"If you must know, I'm late. To a very pressing and urgent matter that I simply must attend to, and if I don't,--"

"This something your parents forced you into?" He interrupted, even having the nerve to smirk at her. She gaped, lost for words.

"Come on, it's written all over your face. Let me guess; rich, overbearing parents with great expectations that you don't live up to, so they think something's wrong with you, and force you to go to "very pressing matters" maybe once a week, when really, they're the ones causing your fear of people and anxiety for everything else." He paused, gently lifting her chin to meet his gaze. Her eyes narrowed as she tensed, gripping the handles of the seat with her lace gloves. How could he possibly know this much? There was no way he could have picked up that much from her sitting at a bench, waiting for the subway train.

"Am I correct, Cress Galloway?" He whispered.

She gasped outright and stood, slapping his hand away. "Sir, I don't know how you know what you know, or why you delight in scaring me, but I suggest you leave me alone, or I'll--"

"Or you'll send your father after me? Oh Cress, who do you think hired me to make sure you went to your therapy appointments? Who do you think told me to keep you in line of sight at all times? They don't trust you. They are so paranoid about losing their reputation, and it's because they scared their daughter into being terrified of the world. They broke you, and now they refuse to take the blame."

She froze, her back to him so he couldn't see the tears. In the distance another train blasted thick smoke into the air, pummeling towards the unknown. Cress wished more than anything she was hurtling far away.

"You've been watching me? All of these weeks?"

"Yes, and I'm downright sick of it." He sighed and shook his head, wincing as if he was the victim here.

"At first I was only in it for the money, because that's what I'm always doing the jobs for. But then I started learning about who and what I was working for. This isn't right, and after today, I'm backing off. But I had to meet you. I had to tell you the truth about them."

Cress narrowed her eyes and backed away. "I don't believe you. I don't believe that--"

"Will you stop being so naïve? Look who you have for parents Crescent, they aren't exactly saints." The blush returned, this time in shame. She stiffly turned around, headed toward a farther bench. Hopefully the blasted train would arrive on time.

"I know now that you mean well, but I'd rather not have known. I... I, well. I can't escape them. Until I'm married and well away, they won't stop. I'm stuck." She said, her hoarse voice drifting off as he turned her around.

"I've already thought about that. I have a plan, and don't be surprised, for Cars well Thorne always has a plan." He said gallantly, offering her a handkerchief. She took it with trembling hands, waiting for his next words with cold dread. The fact that he was a private investigator for her parents only slightly phased her. They'd always been monsters, and this was just another one of their schemes to get back at her for being an embarrassment.

"Marry me."

"EXCUSE ME?" She burst out, whirling around so fast her purse accidently hit him in the gut. He grunted at the force, but used the bag's strings to pull her closer to him. If anyone had walked by right now they would've looked as if they were embracing. Her face flamed up for a third time, wishing he'd just leave it be. What could he possibly mean by that?

"You heard me. I know practically all there is to know about you. I happen to be excellent at what I do, and I know what you want. You want nothing more than to take the next train to the station, to board with a one way ticket, to never look back. I can make that happen. I can free you. Not only that, but I want to, Cress. I want to be your wings." He reached for her hands, freeing them of the stupid bag.

Oh how she hated that bag, full of medication she didn't need and notes for the therapist she didn't like.

He had a point. If she could just get the ticket from him, she'd be free. She didn't have to stay with him. Not really.

But then she met his eyes, and all of those thoughts of deception melted away. His eyes were blue, so startlingly ice blue that the breath left her all together. And for the first time, she felt like she could trust someone. It was crazy, and naïve, but she wanted to take this chance.

Cress knew then without a doubt she'd never get another opportunity to escape her cage. She took a deep breath just as she heard the train whistle.

Ignoring his glance for a few seconds, she closed her eyes and took in the moment. The train buzzed into the stop, ruffling her dress as it passed. The wind blew her hair out of its tightly controlled bun, letting strands fall into her face. The smell of change shifted through, and she knew what her decision was.

The biggest smile she'd ever had flew onto her face, and she laughed outright before opened her eyes to see his crinkle with happiness.

Throwing her purse and chains to the floor, she grasped his hand and fled for the doors that swished open as crowds of busy, chained people shuffled out, their sense of freedom muddled and broken.

She was free, and she'd found her wings in the most unlikeliest of places.

-End of Part One-