Chapter 22

A Week Later-

The inn was noisy tonight in the most peaceful sense of the word; the kind of loud that comes with friends gathered together and the clinking of celebratory glasses. It was as though a war had ended, and in a way, it had.
The mayor had renounced the tax and set up a series of protection laws against underage workers. Factories were to be inspected within the next five months, and a fine had been solidified for any factory that wasn't meeting the new standards. The mayor himself had approached the group, asking for their assistance. Cinder had become an unofficial advisor on his board of trustees. She'd helped to finalize the plans that will later lead Brooklyn into the 20th century. She'd even roped Ze'ev into meeting with him to explain what their plans were for the new boarding house. The mayor was so impressed with their initiative and compassion that he had a story written about the couple (Needless to mention, the inn experienced a boom in customers that only comes with press popularity) and he'd begun a foundation in their honor, one that would lend money to the funding of the new house and continue supplying aid to the orphanages of Brooklyn. The last time Ze'ev and the mayor had spoken, he'd even hinted that Ze'ev would be wise to consider running to take his place once his term ran out. It had given Ze'ev plenty to think about over the past week.
Kai had officially ended his engagement to Levana, who was now a figure of scorn in all the public papers. Cinder had had no trouble at all selling those headlines. Kai had given up his position in the government and instead worked with the high society, gathering funds and support for the foundation the mayor had created. Kai had been named the president of the foundation after his help in ending Levana's case by providing his statement as a witness to her crimes and bribery.
Cinder continued to lead the lower classes of the city, going out every day with her boys to sell the papes. It was quickly becoming clear, however, that too many people recognized her face, and it was so much of a distraction that she was at risk of being trampled by her many fans and supporters. At the moment she was sitting at the bar, considering her options to either co-run the foundation with Kai or begin helping Ze'ev with his campaign for mayor.
Scarlet had become the proud title of mother to all who were signing up to live in the boarding house once it was completed. She had spent the week filing the paperwork for the new furniture that was to be in the house. Ben had become her loyal helper and taste-tester in the inn's kitchen, and he adored her to no end. The hole in Scarlet's heart was now filled to the brim.
Thorne and Cinder had reentered the city and for the moment were still taking refuge in the inn. The papers had been mentioning the mysterious accident, the burned carriage with two unknowable bodies inside, but they hadn't yet caught on to the fact that the only witnesses and survivors were in their city. Thorne was planning on maintaining that secret for as long as possible. The LeCourtier's had dug themselves a trench of lies and scandal, and the second the press started uncovering the bits and pieces, Cress, Jacin, and Thorne would be in trouble. But for now, all was well with them.
Now that they'd both admitted their feelings, it no longer felt right to Scarlet to let them sleep in the same room, so they were occupying the second floor of the inn. Cress wasn't yet back to her usual self, but over the past seven days her cheeks had become brighter, her body slowly filling out once more, her smiles becoming slightly more frequent and genuine. She'd spent most of the last few mornings at the doctor's office, her ankle being cared for. It would take time, lots of it, but after he set it the doc assured them she'd be just fine in the end. The group never ceased to shower her with love and little tokens of affection, as if trying to remind her that yes, there was still good in the world. None of them could fully understand what she'd gone through, but Thorne was the closest to knowing, and there was rarely a moment that he wasn't by her side, watching cautiously. Waiting for her to break in a way that wouldn't occur for many, many years to come. For now, she was safe.
Thorne, now free from the two people that held the power over his future, was left with no sense of direction. Jacin had hinted at a job offering with the police as a private detective, but Thorne was content to stay at the inn and take care of his Birdy for now.
For now.
Cress took another sip of her warm tomato soup, glancing around the room at what had become her family. They were all gathered in the restaurant floor, the bar and tables filled with candles and streamers and party decorations. It was Ben's birthday, and Iko and Scarlet had enlisted Cress in helping them with transforming the room into a beautiful chaos of presents and celebration. Ben was sitting on top of the bar, a paper crown lopsided on his head as he beamed over the crowd of his closest friends. A half-devoured cake topped with white creme icing was beside him, a stack of used plates next to it. Glasses were being passed around, a toast being prepared. She looked to her left, where Thorne was sitting, his arm securely around her shoulder.
They'd had a long series of late-night conversations, resolving the pain and distant that had been created between them. She was still the anxious and paranoid girl at heart, but her love for him brought her peace through the panic. He was her set of wings, and that wasn't ever going to change now.
She blinked free of her thoughts and leaned over, kissing him on his cheek. Or she would have, had he not turned his head to look at her in the last moment, letting their mouths collide by a perfect accident. She giggled into his lips, feeling him smile against her.
His other hand cupped her cheek, filling her with that now-familiar tingle of hope and tentative joy. He kissed her once, twice, before pulling away.
"What was that for, Birdy?" He chuckled under his breath, his hand still on her cheek.
"I'm just happy." She said simply, as that was all that needed to be said. He understood that that was once of the most important things she could've said.
"I love you too, Cress. I love you too." She beamed at him, a wide, brilliant smile that made him suppress a shiver. How had he gotten so lucky?
"Attention, can I get everyone's attention please?" Ze'ev was standing up beside Ben, a glass of something bubbly in his right hand. The room's chatter died down, and everyone picked up their glasses in preparation. Cress reluctantly looked away from Thorne's eyes to listen to Ze'ev, but Thorne's gaze never left her face.
"I just wanted to thank you all for coming out tonight to celebrate our son's birthday." A cheer erupted through the party, cutting him off, but he didn't even appear to be fazed. Scarlet watched in wonder at how he'd transformed over the last month. An interruption would've caused him to lose his temper by now, but with Ben, things had changed. He was gentler, kinder. She was more in love with him than ever, and the fact that it was easy to call Ben their son hadn't slipped her notice.
"Thank you, thank you. Tonight is special for all of us. Over the month, we've all faced some of the most challenging experiences a person could face. We've had to have courage against threats to our welfare, our jobs, our homes, and our lives. We've lost members of our families too, members that we won't ever forget. But we've gained something too. We've won our rights to live in this world just as free as any other person. We've earned respect and freedom to choose. Some of us have escaped fates that would lead to dark futures. So a year from now, a month, a minute, let's not forget what was lost and sacrificed to bring us to this point. Let's not forget the pain, but let's not dwell on it either. This hasn't been a fairytale, nor will there be a happily ever after. But I have faith in this family. I have faith that we can face anything the world tries to throw at us now. So raise your glasses, and let's toast to another year of adventure, whatever that may be."
The group shouted their agreements, and all glasses were thrown into the air, the drinks splashing around victoriously. Music resumed, the floor was cleared, and once more the room became a lively dancing hall, the space filled with lively footsteps.
Cress set her glass down and looked up to see Thorne offering his arm to her.
"May I have this dance, milady?" He looked at her through his lashes, a flirtatious smile on his lips. There he was. There was her Carswell.
She nodded and took his arm, letting him lead her into the crowd before sweeping her up into a waltz, her feet on top of his as they moved.
"Did you ever expect your assignment to lead to this?" Cress asked him, motioning to the happiness around them. He frowned thoughtfully for a moment, continuing to move them throughout the room.
"No. But I wouldn't trade what came of that meeting in the subway station for anything."
She smiled up at him.
"Thank you for being my wings, Carswell Thorne." He returned her gaze, shaking his head.
"I don't think that's the way it turned out." She frowned in confusion.
"What do you mean?" She asked.
"I might've been your chance of escape, but your soul wasn't the one that needed saving. You were the one who saved me. You were my wings, all along. You were my Birdy." He closed his eyes and leaned his head against hers, the music and noise of the party fading from their minds.
"We saved each other, and I'm not losing you ever again."
And in the end, it doesn't matter who said it out loud, for they both believed it. They both knew it. And they'd never forget it.

-The End-