Chapter 5

"THORNE, LOOK OUT!" Her voice was raw and hoarse, and he was still trying to figure out why she was afraid. He didn't get the chance to turn around.

The words were the last her heard before the sharpest pain he'd ever felt flashed at the back of his head. His vision tunneled, her wide eyes the last thing he saw before the dizziness came and smothered him.

Cress felt a scream rip through her throat as he crumbled next to the podium. His head was inches from her outstretched fingertips, but too much was in the way. Her pleads at the officers went unheard, they were far too busy warding off others who were blind and powerful with rage. Cress had endured horrors before, but this- it was too much.

Sure, he was arrogant and pompous and a bit of a prat, but he had helped her without asking for anything in return. And he'd kept her safe in a clearly unsafe city.

She felt weak and childish admitting it, but right now, she physically couldn't live without him.

So there was only one thing to do. Mustering up all of her courage and strength, she broke through the swarm in front of her and barreled her little body up the steps of the stand. The officers were so surprised by the tiny fireball they forgot to try and stop her.

Cress dropped down onto her knees beside him, shaking him by his shirt. His head lolled to the side, nothing else moving but his fluttering eyelids. She gulped as she saw a trail of thick, dark blood oozing from beneath his hairline.

She shut her eyes for a moment, bile rising in her throat. She'd never really seen blood on anybody else but herself, and it was terrifying. But so as everything else at the moment.

Taking a deep breath, she grabbed him by the arms and pulled with all her might.

Stars, he was much heavier than she'd been expecting. With a gasp, he fell from her grasp and went tumbling to the floor again. Time seemed to slow for her as he fell.

She was about to have accidently killed him, OH STARS, what had she done?!? She should've asked for help, how would she explain this?

But all of a sudden Thorne was being lifted up just before his head could hit the ground again, his arm wrapped around...the Wolf! Sweet mercy he was tugging him along.

"Come on, we need to get out of here! Hurry." He shouted over his shoulder, and without a glance behind Cress jumped off the podium to follow him through a back road she hadn't seen before. There was practically no sign of life down this street, thank goodness.

Wolf looked around his shoulder again, making sure she was still scrambling to catch up.

"What were you thinking, coming here? I told Scarlet not too." He was almost growling at her. She pulled back a bit reproachfully.

"We weren't planning on it, but when we turned to go down the right street, a part of the group moved forwards and we kind of got shoved into the middle of it. I promise Wo-um, Ze'ev, we didn't mean to disrespect your wishes." He humphed, but she caught his relieved smile. Her heart lightened, but when he shifted slightly she saw with a jolt that more blood was pouring down Thorne's side with every jostle and cobblestone.

"We have to get help soon, he's losing too much blood!" She panted, running up to march next to him.

"Forgive me, Miss Cress, but we don't have any other options at this point than to walk the mile home."

"Is it really that far? How can you carry him that far?" With a grunt he ignored her, readjusting his grip and walking a little faster.

"Ze'ev!" She cried out, breaking into a run. Why wasn't he listening to her? Thorne could die any minute.