Chapter 11

Cress-

Holding back her screams was becoming a fight. It was more like a war instead of a battle. See, a battle is only fought once, and then you're done. You can take a break, find a new strategy, and recuperate. But this was a never ending, never ceasing, torturous wave that used up her tears until she couldn't cry any more at all. She just sat, head held back as Winter raked her fingers through her bloody curls. So far she'd managed to hide her broken ankle, but if Winter made her stand, all secrets would disintegrate. She was already weak enough, though, and the last thing she wanted was to show she had practically no means of escape.

She was currently sitting in the chair again, her eyes clenched shut as Winter attempted what she called "braiding." This was not at all accurate. Cress's hair was hanging limply in several different enormous knots, steadily increasing in size and pain. Winter was completely oblivious to this, and continued to yank and tug until Cress's lips began to bleed as she tried not to yelp.

Winter was singing loudly as she worked, some made up song about a fairy and a prince. It was beautifully naive, and for the first time in Cress's life, she felt bitter, angry resentment swell up inside her.

How dare this girl pretend to be innocent? She had no idea what real pain was, what true loss felt like. And yet here she was, playing with her prisoner like some kind of sick owner. Cress had never felt more disgusted, even by her parents.

"...And, DONE! Oh it looks wonderful, don't you think? Well I mean your looks overall could use some color, but your hair is a definite improvement. Dress up time now!" Winter jumped up behind her, releasing her hair and sending Cress's head flying back to its regular position. The movement tightened her stomach, sending a wave of nausea through her broken body. The massive wound gapping from her tummy was starting to bleed again, the sides already blackened and bruised. Cress had hoped escaping her parents would make the shame of looking at herself fade, but here she was, back at it again. It was hard to realize her nightmares had become a reality once more. With each new second, she felt herself shutting down more, losing feeling, not caring. She'd already lost, just like always.

Cress decided to play the part for an instant, hopefully getting what she wanted out of it.

"Dear friend, I would hate to ruin your stunning dresses by bleeding all over them. Perhaps I could take a bath first? And maybe clean my wound?" She let out a brilliant smile, pretending she was beaming at Thorne. Pretending that the kisses in her dreams had been real right alongside with the nightmares. Pretending he cared enough to come for her. The thought alone of him arriving at the door, even simply to call her Birdy one last time, was enough to make a little part of that fake smile feel...genuine.

Oh no.

No.

It couldn't be. There was no way.

How could she have been so stupidly blind?

Cress Le Courtier was a complete fool.

She'd fallen for her Carswell Thorne.

Her Carswell Thorne.

And she'd fallen hard.

The truth hit her so abruptly that breath completely abandoned her. The smile slipped off, but Winter was too busy summoning the serving girl to get the tub she didn't care to notice. This was all a pleasing game to her. Fine. Cress will play too, until her window came.

Then she would find a way to save herself, and get to the one person who knew how to make the nightmares leave. Her Thorne.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------