Chapter 10

I sighed as I plopped down next to Dad on the couch in the living room. It was Thanksgiving Break and like usual Mom was stuffing being a debutante down my throat.

"Dad!" I whined placing my head on his shoulder as he set down the paper.

"Could you please get Mom to stop forcing me to be a debutante?" I begged looking up at him as he sighed wearily.

"Su, dear, I wish I could, but you know how stubborn your Mom can be, that's were you get it from."

"But Dad, why can't she just understand I don't want to do this? She knows I hate girly things like that." He placed a comforting arm around my shoulder as I leaned into him.

"Well when she was pregnant with you and she figured out you would be a girl she was so excited. She started planning all these things, like painting your room pink and buying you all these dresses and shoes and girl nonsense. But then you came and well…you never really acted like a girl. You came out loving sports, being loud, getting dirty and being a tomboy. And your Mom had always put up with it hoping that someday you would want to act like a girl and you never have." I sighed; I never knew Mom felt that way.

"And well she wants you to be a debutante because she was one when she was your age. She thinks if you do this you'll start liking girl things, and she also wants to bond with you." I quirked an eyebrow.

"Bond? We bond all the time." Dad looked down hard at me.

"No you don't. She tries to bond with you, go to your hockey games watch sports with you and you shut her out. You get so engrossed in those things you don't even notice her anymore. Su just do this for her, make her happy, make her proud of you." I narrowed my eyes.

"Why can't she be proud of me for what I've already done? I've been to the Junior Goodwill games; it's like the Olympics for kids. And besides that I won! I was on the winning team, the best in the world Dad! You know what? She didn't even care; all she cared about was that I looked good in my uniform." I finished bitterly as he held me close.

"I know Susie but you're Mom will never see past that. She only sees what she wants to see. And she wants to see you be a debutante." I sighed nodding.

"All right. I'll do it…only for her though." He squeezed my shoulder.

"That's my girl, why don't you go and tell her." I nodded standing up wiping some tears from my eyes. I smiled weakly at Dad before heading up the stairs to my parent's room. I knocked on the door and it opened quickly.

"Su, dear what can I do for you?" Mom asked leading me in as we took a seat on the king size bed. I sighed hugging myself.

"I want to be a debutante." I said quietly staring ahead. I vaguely saw Mom smile as she hugged me.

"I knew you would! We're going to have so much fun! You made the decision just in time the first meeting is the day school gets back in. Aren't you excited?"

"Yeah," I said numbly, "Ecstatic."

I got out of my brand new car and smoothed my short skirt down. Stupid meetings making you dress up! I swore under my breath as I looked myself over. I was in a light blue skirt with a matching blazer and silver high heels. My hair was down and blowing in the wind as I walked into the country club where the meetings will be taking place.

I had to leave school early just to get here.

"Mom!" I called out as I saw her talking to a woman. She waved me over placing an arm around my shoulder as I stood in front of the woman.

"And this is my daughter Susanna, I was just telling you about her." I wrinkled my noise at my name, great she's now calling me Susanna. The woman smiled at me as we shook hands.