Aftermath

They walked side by side in silent. That was one of the most awkward moments since the existence of their friendship.

"Do you remember that little boy we met today?" Joe asked out of a sudden, slipping his hand into his pocket.

"We meet a lot of little boys today," she chuckled. "Which one? The one saluting you?"

"Yeah, that one."

"Yeah, why?"

"This must sound like an utter bullshit anyway," he scoffed, suddenly feeling embarrassed.

She frowned. "Come on, what is it?"

"I don't know," he shrugged. "I feel very... proud when he did that," he said in a much lowered voice.

"Saluting you?"

He nodded.

She smiled fondly. "Yes, you should feel proud."

"I feel... you know... important? I don't know. It's just... it was a pleasant feeling."

Her smile got wider hearing that. Joe had always been so skeptical about himself, and sometimes it annoyed her how he couldn't see how precious he was. "Oh, you are important, Joe. Believe me, you are," she nodded reassuringly.

Joe scoffed.

"Hey, I'm serious."

"You really think so?" he frowned.

She nodded quickly. "Mm-hmm."

"Then..." he moved closer to her. "I guess I have a chance?"

She looked down to avoid his gaze. "Yeah, sure you do," she shrugged.

They walked in silent again.

Then he took her hand and squeezed it with both his hands. "Your hands are cold," he stated.

She just watched as he tried to make her hand warm by rubbing it against his hands carefully. She smiled and offered her other hand. "Please?"

"Sure," he smiled and did the same at the other hand.

"Thanks," she said after feeling her hands warm. She then took off the floral scarf she was wearing and put it around Joe's neck. "Here's to keep you warm," she nodded.

"Hey, hey," he frowned but let her.

"You look fine," she nodded, holding back a smile.

"Thanks, but can I remove this? It doesn't look so good with my uniform."

"Says who? It looks perfectly perfect," she gave him her thumbs.

He mumbled something and shook his head.

"What?"

"No," he shrugged. "It feels rather warm with this," he smiled sheepishly.

***

"Rise and shine, Lieb boy," she smiled widely when Joe opened his eyes.

He squinted from the bright sun ray from the window. "Morning," he mumbled and yawned.

"Coffee?" she offered. "Oh, it's tea now, isn't it?"

"Yeah," he smiled. She seemed to be in a good mood, and he couldn't ask for more.

She sat on the edge of the bed and gave him a cup of tea. She smiled while watching him sip on it.

"You okay?" he scoffed.

She nodded quickly.

"You look... oddly cheerful?"

"You'd rather have me grim?"