The Letter Never Came

"Judith?"

Florence's unusual stern voice brought Judy back to the pub they were in. "Yes?"

She rolled her eyes. "Are you even listening to me?"

Judy bit her lip and tried to look as apologetic as possible. "Not really..."

"I figure," she rolled her eyes again, more dramatically this time.

"What was it again? Sorry, I was—"

"Distracted?" she cut her off. "You've been saying that word for the past few days," Florence said, but then her face softened. "Is there anything you want to talk about?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Probably what's been distracting you?"

"Well, to be honest with you, I'm probably just distracted by the fact that I could get a letter without a warning beforehand, saying that something happened to Joe." Those words came out of her mouth unfiltered; even she looked surprised by what she'd just said.

Florence raised her eyebrows, but it slowly turned into a frown. "Darling, are you okay? You sound like you're in a dire need of some alcohol right now."

"I probably am," Judy sighed. "I just don't know how to cope with this—how to continue things normally."

Florence licked her lips, trying to make out something to say, even though she wasn't sure it would sound believable. "He'll be alright, Judy. That letter won't come."

Judy just stared at her friend dead in the eyes, which made Florence squirmed a little.

"Okay, quit looking at me like that," Florence pointed her finger. "I know there is nothing I could say that'd make you feel any better right now, but you've got to let go." But then she quickly added, "I mean—don't get me wrong. I'm not saying let go as if... you know..." she puffed, frustrated at her own choice of words. "You know what I mean."

1 July 1944

There was not a day that went by without Joe thinking about her. He'd been so used to her constant presence. But in this battlefield, he had no choice but to put aside all his personal thoughts and feelings for the sake of himself—and the member of his company's.

Most men on the company had heard the news about being sent back to England, but no one knew when. They'd been relieved by the 83rd Infantry Division a few days before, and now they'd been enjoying a far better life off the frontlines. Joe, Skinny, and a few other men were gathering just outside an empty building where they'd been sharing the excitement upon hearing the news about going back to England.

"What's holding us here?" Joe Toye asked rhetorically. "We've done the job, and we've been relieved. I don't fucking see the point of us staying here."

Skip scoffed. "Well, the generals up there definitely know more than you, Joe."

Skinny only smirked while dusting dirt off his helmet.

"Gotta agree with Toye," Joe scoffed, joining the group's conversation. "This is boring."

"What, are you a maniac now?" Skip commented.

"I just figure we could be useful somewhere."

"Ah, give me a break, Joe," Skinny said while lying on his back. "I figure we could use some rest."

***

The men of Easy had been relieved, yet they were not being pulled back to England. They needed something to kill time; some of them started collecting souvenirs, some were always seen busy with their pencils and notes, and some tried to get all the rest they could get.

Joe was leaning on a big, old tree that afternoon, retreating himself from the crowd. Looking as far as he could, his mind wandered to a lot of places at the same time. One image was more dominant than the others, though; Judy. He wondered about what she was doing at this very moment and if she was also thinking of him right now. He pulled out a pencil and small notebook from his pocket; he decided that if he was about to stay here longer than planned, he'd send her a letter.

Dear Judy,

It's been some times now since the last time I saw you. I'm fine and alive, just in case you are wondering.

How are you? I hope you're well as I always want you to be. Send my greetings to Lisa and tell the kids I said hi.

Skinny, Skip, and Pat are all okay. Everything is still under control. If you are able to, I want you not to read or listen to the news about this war. I know how stressful they can get.

Just be well and happy, and I'll be, too.

Yours,

Joe

He put the notebook back into his pocket and sighed.

10 July 1944

Joe never really got the chance to send his letter. A few days after he wrote it down, the company moved down to Utah Beach to get to England. The beach was packed with people as they waited for their turn to get into the LSTs. Everyone was filled with excitement and somewhat anxiety. The D-Day landing was their first ever mission in this war, and it had changed them completely as a person. These men returning to Aldbourne were not the same men leaving a month ago. Some of them felt apprehensive about adapting back.

13 July 1944

Joe tried to shut his eyes and get some sleep. He was tired, but he just couldn't get his mind and body to rest. He concluded that he was too excited and gave up trying.

The train trip from Southampton gave the men some quiet time for themselves. Some used the time to contemplate things they'd never got to think about while in France; some fell easily into deep sleep.

Joe felt his palms getting clammy. He quickly rubbed them on his trousers and took a deep breath to steady his breathing. He didn't know what it was, but he was sure that it was more than just excitement over meeting Judy again. He checked on his uniform: everything was in its right place. He looked as handsome as ever and was ready to meet her.

***

The people of Aldbourne were just as excited to see the men again. Some already dubbed the American troops as 'heroes'. So that morning, a lot of them gathered around the train station. Judy was also there; she obviously was there. She was there with Florence who was also more than eager to meet Pete again. The train finally came, and people started talking among themselves as it slowly came to a halt. Judy took some steps back and let herself go from Florence who was now, along with the many people, approached the train. Cold sweat trickled down her face, and she blamed the lack of air in the crowded station.

The soldiers got off the train one by one. Each of them was met with greet from the locals. She watched intently as men kept getting off the train; then, there he was, the person she'd been dying to meet. She yelled out his name as she felt her feet were too heavy to be dragged across the many of people. He turned his head, and their eyes met.

She finally found the strength to run to his open arms. She hugged him tightly and inhaled his scent. It was a bit of a blur, but then his lips were already on hers. He then pulled himself to look at her with a wide grin on his face. "Hi, Judy."

"Oh God, Joe." She knew she was also grinning, but she felt tears on her cheek. She hugged him again, and their body swayed a bit. "Oh my, I've missed you so much," she said to his chest.

He kissed her head and let go. "'I've missed you, too. You have no idea."

"Let's get you home."