5 ∘ Awaken (EPOV)

As I was running, I heard hundreds of thoughts all around me. I tried to block Alice out of courtesy. I couldn't completely, of course.

My own thoughts were too preoccupied. Bella screaming in pain while in my arms was almost unbearable to take in. I knew what she was going through. I remember my whole transformation, and not a second less. The fire, the constant burning, the wish to die. I'm sure her thoughts clouded with the same.

After running through Nevada, Bella's screaming started to subside. We weren't running at full speed, as Alice promised our father we would have Bella fed when we returned home. We figured we would stop to lay her in our meadow, where she would awaken somewhere comfortable.

We had just entered Forks after almost two days of running. I took a sudden turn and Alice followed quietly on my heels. I slowed myself to a walk and stopped in the middle of the open, flowery space. Mine and Bella's meadow. It looked almost the same as it had when I brought Bella here. Spring was coming to an end.

I sat down, and placed her head on my lap. There wasn't too much time left. Maybe four hours.

Alice sat down next to me, and stared at Bella. “Well, there's no doubt how stunning she is.” I didn't answer. “I'm sorry this happened. But hey, at least you won't be alone forever now.” I tried to focus on Bella, but Alice kept talking. “We both gained someone forever. You get a wife, I get a sister and a best friend.”

That stopped my train of thought. “Wife?” I questioned her.

“Duh. Well, actually, she's a little more than your girlfriend now, and a little less than a wife, I guess. But I'm sure it'll happen one day. It happened for me and Jazz. And for Em and Rose. And Esme and Carlisle, obviously. Why not for you and Bella?”

“No, you're right. I'm sure it will.”

She gave me a smug smile. “And you better let me plan it! You would have a very unhappy sister if you ran off to Vegas or something. I'm sure you would hate if my new favorite brother was Emmett.”

I half-smiled. “Sure, sure. It’s up to Bella, anyway.”

She grinned.

We talked about a lot of things while we waited. Nothing in particular, really. Just trying to pass the time.

Should I go catch her something? she asked in her mind. I shook my head. She needs to learn how to hunt on her own, which I'm sure she'll be quick at. I had told her a few weeks ago at school that she wasn't allowed to see me hunt, but that was out of the question now.

Bella was still wriggling around on the grass. Her whimpers were really getting to me now. But I knew it was almost over.

After about three hours, Bella started screaming out loud again. This was it. The worst was coming. But with the worst, that also meant the end was coming. She would be immortal. My Bella, immortal. Part of me was screaming with joy about being able to keep her forever. But another part of me was so disappointed in myself for allowing this to happen to her...

It's my fault. I was supposed to protect her. Protect her soul and keep her human. And I failed. I failed myself, and I failed her. I took her choices away. I took her friends and family away... I took her humanity and soul away.

Just as I was about to pick myself off the ground and brood somewhere alone, Bella's eyelids flashed open, revealing their crimson hue.