13 ∘ Forks (BPOV)

What?! We just left that place. Does no one remember why?” Rosalie looked pointedly at me.

“I’m aware, Rose,” Edward said. “But we don’t have a choice, do we, Carlisle?”

“No, I’m afraid not. We have to make sure Victoria isn’t there. Or Laurent. They could go on a killing spree to get our attention. It’s best if we’re there before that can happen.”

I was nervous. What if someone I knew saw me?

“It’ll be okay, Bells.” Emmett patted my arm.

We left as soon as we could. We took boats. Edward thought I’d get distracted if we swam, which was silly considering how much danger we were apparently in.

When we got to the garage after another three hours, we headed back to Forks. I couldn’t find anything to keep me calm. I was a wreck.

Edward kept a hold on me, trying to soothe me by rubbing circles onto my thigh.

The trip back seemed longer this time for some reason. I didn’t know why, but I tried not to think about it. We reached Arizona before he spoke for the first time.

“Are you okay? Do you want to stop for a while?”

“No, I’m fine. I’m good. Just... What are we gonna do?”

“It’s not a solid decision yet, but Carlisle thinks we should get settled back at the house in case there’s any fights waiting for us. If he’s right, Victoria will already be in Forks. We need to be ready,” he said, confident.

He told me last week why I was so much stronger than the rest of the Cullens. My human blood was still in my body. I could either be an advantage or a really big disadvantage if there was a fight. Someone would have to train me. Edward said it would be Jasper. I got annoyed when I got that news, since I was still mad at him for throwing me into the water in Rio. I needed to get control of my emotions. That wouldn’t help me in my training.

We zoomed passed the ‘city of Forks welcomes you’ sign. It wouldn’t be long until we reached the Cullen house.

I saw the sign for Woodcroft Avenue. We turned into the Cullens driveway, and my breath was taken away. We were back.

Edward got out of the car while I stared at the house. He opened my door for me and held his hand out. I took it, and we stood, waiting for the other four cars to arrive.

When they did, Carlisle unlocked the front door, and we were home.

After all the trouble we went through to leave this place, I was already back in Forks again.

“Now what?” Emmett was the first to take off the tarp and plop down on the couch. Dust was floating around, but it didn’t seem to bother him.

“I haven’t seen her yet,” Alice started. “I guess we wait.”

“What exactly are we waiting for?” Rosalie sat next to Emmett.

“A decision.” Alice rolled her eyes at Rose, like it was so obvious.

“Well, family. I guess we’re home. Indefinitely. Go unpack. Esme and I are gonna start dusting,” Carlisle said, taking her hand. They walked toward the kitchen.

Suddenly, I was whisked off my feet. I was set down two seconds later. I was in Edward’s room.

I turned to face him, chuckling. “What was that?”

He didn’t say anything. He kissed me, dragging me over to his couch by the glass wall.

I didn’t know how much time passed. He reluctantly pulled away. His golden eyes were dark. We haven’t hunted in a week. I still couldn’t get over how red my eyes were. But they were getting lighter. I was looking forward to having gold replace them.

I took his hand and walked to his French glass doors. Who needs doors in their three-story bedroom that lead to nothing? Honestly. They open, and there’s nowhere to walk out. There’s no porch or balcony or whatever. You just open them, walk out, and fall forty feet below to the ground. What sense does that make? To humans anyway. He followed behind, and jumped out with me. We landed gracefully on the concrete and ran together to hunt.