10 ∘ Ocean: Part 2 (EPOV)

When we got to the water’s edge, Bella stared at the sunrise.

“What’s on your mind?” I asked her, curious.

“I keep thinking about how completely different my life was a few days ago. I never thought I’d be doing anything like this anytime soon. It’s exhilarating.”

“I remember that feeling. It’ll get easier.” I smiled at her. “Ready to go?”

“Do I have a choice?” She laughed my favorite laugh.

“You always have a choice, Bella.” She’ll never do anything she doesn’t completely want to do.

“It’s not that I don’t like the idea. Being on an island sounds like a dream. I just... don’t know about the swimming part. It’s been so long.” Is she kidding? There’s nothing she can’t do.

“Ready, guys?” Alice’s mind was full with pictures of our happy family. She was so excited to start over again. Jasper looked at her lovingly.

Carlisle walked over to us, holding onto Esme. “The bags are all in the boat.”

Alice and I smiled at each other and went to the water. Rosalie followed behind us slowly. She was regretting this already.

Why did I agree to this? Maybe I should ride with the suitcases. This is ridiculous.

Emmett was even more excited than Alice, shockingly. I still didn’t understand what he and Rose saw in each other. I guess opposites really do attract. He ran at human-pace across the dock and yelled cannonball as he jumped into the water. All of us laughed so hard we couldn’t breathe.

Bella wasn’t coming in. I looked back at her, about to ask her what she was waiting for, but I didn’t want to interrupt Jazz. He walked over beside Bella, and smirked at her.

He snatched her hand and took her with him to the dock. Bella was trying to take her hand away from him, and he tried even harder to keep her there. She was a Newborn. He should know better than anyone, with his past, that he was no match for her. No vampire was stronger than a Newborn.

What are you doing?!” She was furious at him. He acted like he gave up, to get her to calm down.

Suddenly, before I could act fast enough, Jasper decided to throw her into the water. She screamed so loud, it would have broken our ear drums if we were human. I got out of the water to run over to Jasper, and punched him. I then looked at Alice and she nodded. She’d reprimand him for me while I retrieved Bella from under the water.

Three seconds passed, and she didn’t surface, so I dove in after her.

I finally saw the early sun rays bouncing off her floating reddish-brown hair. She was sitting cross-legged on the floor of the ocean. I got about two feet away from her when I stretched out my hand for her to take.

She looked at it briefly, but shook her head at me. I tilted my head at her. What was she doing?

She grabbed my forearm and pulled me down with her. I sat across from her while she looked all around us.

I couldn’t blame her. It was gorgeous down here. I told her that yesterday. She didn’t look like she wanted to leave anytime soon, so I decided I’d wait with her.

And, of course, Alice saw my decision.

We’ll meet you at the house, she thought toward me. I smiled. It was so convenient that we had the powers we had. Alice helped me out so much these last fifty years. She was my best friend. I made a mental note to thank her when we got to the house.