12 ∘ Quileute (BPOV)

Two weeks passed quickly. Jacob hadn’t called me since the first time. I wondered how he was doing. Was he with Charlie at all? I hoped so. He didn’t have his daughter anymore, and he loved Jake.

I found Edward in the great room, playing chess with Alice again. Watching them was incredibly amusing. With both of their gifts, it was insane how long it would last. Alice would see what move he was about to make, and would try to play it out so she’d win. But Edward would read her mind, and think of a different move so he’d win. It was easily my main source of entertainment.

My phone rang, and I saw Jacob’s name pop up. But it wasn’t him.

Bella.” I couldn’t recognize the voice.

“Yes?”

It’s Sam. Sam Uley.” Who? “I’m a friend of Jacob’s.” Oh.

“Okay?”

I’m calling to ask if I can speak to Carlisle Cullen.

“Oh. Sure.”

He heard his name, and he came downstairs. I held the phone out to him, and went to sit by Alice.

“Carlisle speaking.”

I felt bad for eavesdropping, but I couldn’t necessarily help it. Besides, everyone was listening in, too.

The pack came across a vampire on our land. He said he was looking for you.”

“I wasn’t aware anyone knew where I lived. Did you catch his name?”

Laurent.” Carlisle turned his head towards Edward. “I wanted to ask if he was part of your coven, in case he ever came back. I didn’t think so, since he had red eyes. But I wouldn’t want to disrupt the treaty, either way.”

“That’s kind of you. He is not. Just a former ally. Thank you, Sam.”

Sam hung up. How did he know my name? Jacob, I guess, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the name Sam UleyWeird, since he was my best friend. Maybe they met after I left?

“What was that about?” Esme came into the room.

“The pack leader called, saying Laurent passed their territory. Looking for us.” I interrupted before Esme could speak.

“Hold on. Why would a friend of Jacob’s call you about a vampire? And pack leaderTreaty? What?”

He kept his eyes down. “It’s not really my place to say.” He looked at Edward. “It’s not your place, either, son, but I guess you’re the best one to explain it to her since Jacob can’t. She’s part of the treaty now. She deserves to know.”

Edward turned to me. “Sam Uley is the Alpha to a pack of werewolves. Well, not really werewolves. More like shape-shifters. I’m guessing Jacob joined them recently.”

I stared at him. Did he really just say Jacob Black is a werewolf? No, wait, shape-shifter?

I burst out laughing. They were took by surprise, and looked around awkwardly at each other. “Bella?”

“Are you... Are you joking? Shape-shifter? Jacob can transform into a werewolf?” Still laughing.

He explained how his family, minus Alice and Jasper, were found hunting on Quileute land decades ago. The Quileutes found out they were vampires, and tried to kill them. They told them they weren’t like other vampires, that they feed on animals instead of humans. And they made a treaty: as long as the Cullens stay off Quileute lands, they wouldn’t expose or kill them.

So, these werewolves were okay that the Cullens ate animals instead of people? Why would that make a difference? They can eat their distant family members, but not humans? I mean, they’re werewolves. Animals. Or am I missing something? Because that’s funny.

“I didn’t think Jacob Black was a shifter yet. His grandfather is the one who initiated the treaty.”

I nodded slowly. I was still processing. He turned back to Carlisle. “But why would Laurent be looking for us?”

“I don’t know... He was part of James’ coven. James is gone, but maybe Victoria is still out there? James was her mate, was he not? She could be looking for us, too. Laurent could be helping her avenge him. But it doesn’t make any sense. He betrayed James and Victoria when he told us about his gift.”

“Wait,” I whispered. “This means they know I’m with you. Sam called me to get to you.”

“That’s a treaty violation,” Edward suddenly said. He voice sounded tortured, worried.

“What?” I asked.

Carlisle answered me instead, his voice calm as always. “Another part of the treaty says we aren’t allowed to bite humans. We can’t turn them.”

“So, what does this mean?”

“I’m not sure. The Alpha didn’t mention it, so maybe they don’t know you’re immortal. Maybe they just think you went away with us.”

The rest of the family came into the room to join the discussion. Edward was thinking for a few minutes. Then he said the thing I never expected to hear.

“We need to go back to Forks.”