7 ∘ Family (BPOV)

"Bella, what's wrong?" Edward tightened his grip around my hand when I stopped on the edge of the yard.

"I'm nervous," I whispered.

"Don't worry." He placed his other hand on my cheek. "I'm here."

I looked at him for a moment, and smiled. That's right. He was here with me. I took an unnecessary deep breath, and walked forward, past the front doors of my new home, where my vampire family was waiting for me.

Esme was the first to engulf me in a hug. "Oh, Bella! I'm so happy you're here!" She loosened her embrace and gripped my arms, frowning, looking like she was about to cry. "I'm so truly sorry about what happened. And I'm even sorrier I wasn't there to do something to help. How are you?"

I smiled, trying to comfort her. "I'm really okay. Great, actually."

"My turn!" Alice jumped in my arms. She got down, smiling at me.

"Well, hey! At least you're alive! Ish." Emmett's laughter shook the floor. Edward glared at him.

"Relax," I told him. I chuckled along with Emmett.

I saw Edward nod toward Carlisle, and nudged him with my elbow. He winced.

"Easy, love. You're a bit stronger than I am for the moment."

I frowned. I didn't know what he meant. Another thing I’d add to the list of questions to ask him later. "What did I miss?"

"Carlisle asked me if the hunt went well." My throat burned slightly at the word hunt.

Edward grabbed hold of my hand again. I squeezed it, silently telling him I was okay.

"What's with the..." Emmett stared at my messed up clothing, amused. I just remembered Edward was shirtless, and looked down, embarrassed.

"Oh, right. Um... I have a little practicing to do."

"Come with me! I'll help." Alice held out her hand for mine. I took it, assuming she was taking me to her closet.

Her room was beautiful. Lots of whites and pastel purples everywhere. She opened French doors, revealing her closet. I gaped. It was huge. Bigger than my bedroom at Charlie's.

Charlie. I winced.

"Welcome to my kingdom! I'll pick you out something nice." I didn't dare step in. She was in there for eight seconds before bouncing out happily.

I grimaced. "Not really my style, Alice."

"Don't question the fashion queen, Bella. Put it on."

I groaned, but did as I was told.

It was a cropped faded green sweater with long sleeves, open to reveal a light, slightly see-through, black tee shirt. It was finished with thick black pants, and black combat boots. She brushed out my dark, matted hair, and stood me up to look me over.

"It's perfect!" She dragged me over to her full-length mirror, and sighed happily. I didn't recognize myself. I wasn't sure who I was looking at. I looked absolutely nothing like I did a few days ago. This was the first time I was seeing myself as a vampire. My skin was white porcelain. I looked almost glassy. Like a doll. My hair was darker and had much more volume to it. And how I was dressed now, I would never have put myself in this when I was human. Or even now. But, strangely, I thought it fit. I was a new person, in almost every way. Of course I would think differently. Because I was different.

But the eyes. My eyes were blazing red.

"How long am I gonna be stuck looking like a demon?"

I probably shouldn't have said that out loud. Edward zoomed in, angry. "Bella," he scolded me, like I was a child.

"Calm yourself, I was talking about my eyes." I turned to face him.

His expression immediately softened. He looked like he was mesmerized. At what, I had no idea. He was so upset just a second ago, but now... Lucky me, stuck with a bipolar vampire.

"What?" I asked him.

"You... look beautiful."

I looked down. I shook my head, chuckling. I looked back at myself in the mirror.

He had a point. I never thought of myself as anything more than ordinary. Looks and otherwise. But now... It was like this was supposed to happen. Like I was meant to meet Edward. I was meant to leave my mom, go live with my dad, and even though I admit it was stupid, I was meant to believe James. Because I was supposed to be a vampire. I finally belonged in this world. And it was all thanks to Edward.

I hugged him. He didn't see it coming, so he got knocked back a little.

"Thank you."

He laughed. "For what?"

"It doesn't matter." I sighed. “So, the eyes? How long?”

“A few months. They’ll fade faster the more you hunt animals.”

Ugh. Months. I guess it’s not a big deal. It’s not like anyone will see me like this besides the Cullens.

I held onto him for a few seconds before it came back to mind.

"Charlie!" I let go of him. "You said we could talk about people later. What am I gonna do?"

"What are we gonna do?" He corrected me, brushing my cheek with his fingers. "Let's go downstairs. We all need to agree as a family." He looked at Alice briefly, and she flitted out of the room. He took my hand, and we ran after her.