FIVE

FIVE

As Dallas hurries around her apartment, carrying boxes on top of boxes, the phone lets out its startling ring. She wasn't expecting it. She never used her house phone, but it rang and it rang until she gave in, putting the boxes down in the centre of the room and rushing to answer it before it stopped its cries.

She holds it to her ear. "Hello?"

"Hi, Sweetheart!" Her Dad's voice was too sweet in her ears, but she smiles all the same. It may be too sweet, but it made her heart swell. No matter what he did, she would always be happy to hear his voice.

"Hey, Dad," Dallas replies, rolling her eyes at his peppiness. He was in a very good mood today and she couldn't help but wonder why.

"How are you? How's the UK been faring since we left it behind, huh?" He asks, laughing. Dallas could imagine his shoulders shaking and his grin reaching from one ear to the other now. He was a happier man now. As much as she hated to admit it, she wasn't the cause of it. It was his new partner, Amy.

Yes, she was a sweet woman. Petit in every feature, golden blonde hair and just the right amount of freckles on her face to be described as 'sun-kissed'. Dallas tried not to like her, but it failed and it turned out Amy used to swim when she was younger. Dallas had grit her teeth and challenged her to a race there and then. Her dad had told her to knock it off, but Amy cut in and took the challenge in her stride. They raced that night and, of course, Dallas won, but not by as much as she thought she would, and she'd actually had to put effort into it. There was a split second on the turn where she thought she might actually lose, but she'd pulled it back and pretended like it didn't send her pulse flying with adrenaline and joy.

She hadn't swum in a competition since she'd left school and she couldn't say she didn't miss it.

"I'm fine," Dallas responds, whirling around making her ankle length skirt whirl around her legs in oceans of silver. "Not much has changed here. Violet still looks the same and she's still running circles around Cal."

"I'm not surprised. That girl couldn't even decide what to have to drink when she used to visit, let alone choose a guy to finally settle down with." He laughs again and this time Dallas joins him.

"Anyway, how's everything with you? Is Willa coping without me?"

"I'd say she's doing just fine. That girlfriend of hers is definitely keeping her occupied. Natalia is a funny girl, you know?" He chirps away as if he has all the time in the world, but Dallas knows how much work he has to do; all the work he's putting off.

"Dad?"

"Yes, honey?"

"Did you phone me to put off doing your work?" Dallas questions, pointlessly raising her eyebrow.

"No. Maybe. Yes," He answers with a sigh. "Am I not allowed to talk to my daughter anymore?"

"Not when you have lots of work to do. I know how Amy likes to distract you. Dad, promise me after this call that you'll do a good amount of work."

"Fine."

"I'll phone you tomorrow, ok?"

"Bye, Dallas! Love you!"

"Love you too, Dad!"

-

Dallas looks herself over once more in the mirror. Her metallic dress hung off her every curve, swooping low at her neck line to reveal much more than she'd intended to, but she liked how it made her feel. It made her feel classy, especially paired with a sleek set of brand new black heels. Her newly cropped hair hung just above her shoulders, tickling her bare shoulders in its delicate curls.

Everything matched.

She smiled.

But then the realisation set in and the butterflies flew all at once, crashing into one another in their panic and ruining their beauty. Tonight, she would almost definitely see Simon again and, after the letter she'd written to him, she wasn't even sure he wanted to see her again. What if he kicked her out? That wouldn't only be embarrassing, it would be heart-breaking. The prospect made her cheeks flush white, but she'd been like this before. She drew in a long breath and then exhaled, telling herself to breathe like she was the star of the show and that everyone adored her because even just one more breath would pave the way to flawlessness.

She left her apartment and slipped into her car, ignoring the butterflies.

-

757 words
I feel like this was such a family chapter bless her