FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN

A major part of Simon couldn't wait to visit Dallas for a coffee, and potentially some good, warm food, too, but there was a part of him that bit at his smiles and his glee.

That part reminded him of what she'd done to him. How she'd just left. No goodbye. No anything. It had taken him too long to get over her, but she'd waltzed right back in and stolen every ounce of his attention once more.

He'd wondered how long it would take for her to call him. He wasn't going to be the one to call her first. No. If she wanted to make amends let her make the first move: that's what Josh and Julian told him, anyway.

Just when he was beginning to think that she wasn't going to ever make that first step, she took a leap and he couldn't help but admire her, just like he always used to.

God, Dallas was a whirlwind.

And she was still stuck in his head, even after all this time.

How could he ever forget someone as memorable as her?

When she'd walked into their three year anniversary party that day, it was like nothing had changed, and yet everything was upside down.

"You haven't forgiven her, have you?" Josh's voice said from the doorway. He stood there with a frown on his face and an open can of doctor pepper in his hand.

"No," Simon replied, staring down at his hands.

"Good, because Julian told me that if you forgive her for what she did then I have to give him a free pass to punch you in the face." They both laughed at that. Of course Julian would say that, but Simon hated that it was true. If he completely forgave her, he deserved to be punched. "Do you think you'll ever forgive her?"

"I don't know. I think I will because I love her, Josh. I wish I didn't, but I do, and seeing her again is bringing everything back."

"Then don't see her. Call her back and tell her you can't ever see her again."

"I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"Because what if things work out this time? What if, by cutting her out of my life, I miss out on something good?" He looked at Josh now and his eyes glimmered, but whatever it was got blinked away. "I can't risk it."

"You mean like she did to you?" Josh said, but it was closer to a whisper as the sound of footsteps approached. "She cut you out, Simon, but you're refusing to do the same to her even though she more than deserves it."

"Josh-"

"If she does it again, what then?"

"She won't."

"You can't know that," Josh said as Julian rounded the corner, wrapping his arms around him from behind. "Jul, go back to bed."

"It's eleven," Julian deadpanned, but he doesn't let go until after he's pressed a kiss to Josh's cheek. He pushed past into the kitchen. "Hey, Simon."

"I was going to bring you breakfast," Josh protested with a pout, but Julian ignored him as he swung open the fridge and grabbed the juice.

He's reaching up to get a glass out of the cupboard as he said, "How's things with you, hm? Dandy, or not so dandy?"

Simon just rolled his eyes and replied, "Things are fine." But he knew Julian was smart enough to know otherwise and he cursed him for that. He didn't want people to know otherwise. He wanted to seem like he was fine when, in reality, he was far from ok.

-

Dallas was still doing her make up when her doorbell rang.

"Shit," She cursed as she swiftly dragged the mascara through her eyelashes before hurrying to the door, not wanting to keep him waiting.

He was early. She never remembered Simon ever being early, only ever slightly late. Maybe more had changed about him than she'd first thought. In the mirror in her hall, she quickly gave herself the once over and yanked the door open with a  smile burning at her glossy, pink lips.

"Hi, Si-" She cut herself off, her smile wobbling upon her face. "James?"

"Hi," He replied and awkwardly scratched the back of his neck, right at the base of his chocolate brown hair. She almost laughed at the sudden resurfacing memory of the nights she'd spent running hand fingers through that hair. It wasn't as soft as it looked. It was stiff and thick. She didn't miss it.

"What are you doing here? Did you need something?" She asked, leaning against the doorframe. Her eyes darted past him every so often, keeping a look out for Simon. What would he think if he saw James here?

"I just came to see you," He said. "I didn't know whether you'd be in, but I thought it was worth it. I got off work early and just thought maybe it would be nice to relax with you."

Dallas' eyebrows raised. "Wow, um, that would be great, but I'm expecting someone else." As his face fell, guilt washed over her. Biting her lip, she made a split decision. "But, maybe we could meet up tomorrow or another day?"

"Yeah, yeah, that would be nice." James stuffed his hands into his pockets and looked directly into her eyes. "I'll, um... I'll text you, ok?"

At the sound of someone approaching, Dallas is immediately distracted. She barely hears him say goodbye, not registering him going for a hug until his arms are around her and she's looking at Simon over his shoulder.

-