12

I was woken up by Evey shaking me violently, "Wake up!" She yelled in my ears.

All I could muster up was a groan. It was the first time in weeks I've gotten a good night's sleep and she wanted to wake me up?

"Victoria, wake up. We're going to get breakfast, then we're going to go see Emerson." She said in a softer tone of voice.

I sat up and nodded at her. I haven't spoken a word since the accident, it's not that I'm not able to, I just wouldn't know what to say.

I rolled out of bed and changed into the laziest outfit I could have thrown together. Grey sweatpants, a hoodie, and flip-flops. I tied my hair into a messy bun, maybe this way it won't be so obvious it's falling out.

**

At breakfast, the only thing I could bring myself to eat was a few slices of an apple. The we Evey talked about consisted of Evey, Francheska, Mason, and myself.

They all knew I wouldn't talk, so they didn't bother trying to converse with me. As they all gossiped about Twitter drama, I just sat there with an empty look in my eyes.

'Twitter, ha, haven't checked that in a while.' I thought to myself. I hadn't been on any social media since I'd gotten out of the hospital.

**

The car ride there was agonizingly dull, no one spoke because they all knew it wouldn't be a happy moment when we walked into that room. It took thirty-three minutes and forty-five seconds to get to the hospital. It's not weird, when you don't talk you have a lot of time to think.

I walked like a hollow shell through the halls to the room Emerson was in. The others knew to give me a bit of time alone with him before seeing him.

He sat motionless, only moving when his chest rose slightly as he inhaled. Nothing hurt me more than seeing him like this, it was torture.

I held his hand tightly and close to my heart. "Please, Emerson. I love you so much." I whispered before kissing his dirt covered hand gently.

"Please, don't ever leave me." I whispered, closing my eyes tightly as tears ran down my face.

I don't even know how long it's been. Weeks? Months? How many nights have I spent like this, just holding his hand and praying to the god I don't believe in?

How much longer is this going to have to go on for?

 When will this all be over?

**

The way the light from the windows fell on Emerson's face made him look like he had a spotlight on him.

Even all bruised up and dirty, he still looked like the most handsome man on the planet.

I smiled, thinking back to all of the good times we had together. Going on dates, falling asleep while watching movies, pulling pranks on everyone on the tour, hanging out in the bus and acting like fools.

I don't want these good times to end.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around, it was Remington. I gave him a fake smile, then looked back at Emerson.

"You know, Emerson loves to hear you sing to him." He said calmly.

I wiped tears from my face and nodded.

"We all love to hear you sing, Victoria. You have a lovely voice." He said, rubbing my shoulder and giving me a concerned look.

"What does that have to do with anything?" I said quietly, still looking down at Emerson.

"I want to hear you sing, and I'm sure Emerson would love to hear you too." He said, smiling.

"I don't know any songs."

"Yes you do, you know our songs."

There was a silence between the two of us. I sighed, then turned to look at him.

"Morning Light, c'mon Victoria. It's your favorite, I'll even sing it with you." He smiled.

I can't refuse, I'd feel like a Class-A Asshole. I sighed, then wiped the rest of the tears from my face.

"Fine." I said quietly.

**

"We live for, We yearn for
The things that we're born for.
Yesterday's today's tomorrow
We die for, We try for
The things that we long for
If needed beg steal and we'll borrow

The morning light will lead you
No weapon will defeat you

Winter comes, Skies to grey
It's the same old same old everyday
And where it starts, Is where it ends
I feel your pain
So run the lights, Catch a plane
I know you just wanna win
You see my friend, Life is just a game

The meaning, The reason, The set backs, The seasons
Come and go neglect the sorrow
The shadows, The angels
That walk through this strange world
Knowing which one I will follow

The morning light will lead you
No weapon will defeat you

Winter comes, Skies to grey
It's the same old same old everyday
And where it starts, Is where it ends
I feel your pain
So run the lights, Catch a plane
I know you just wanna win, You see my friend. Life is just a game

Oh let me live it now, Oh let me feel it now, Oh let me break it down. I know I see that this ain't the end for me. Oh try to stop me now. Oh I will hit the ground. Oh I will turn around
I do believe that this world ain't done with me

Winter comes, Skies to grey
It's the same old same old everyday
And where it starts, Is where it ends
I feel your pain
So run the lights, Catch a plane
I know you just wanna win
You see my friend. Life is just a game"

We sang together, Remington taking the harmony so I could be the star. I couldn't help but cry, I haven't sang since the night of the accident.

The lyrics repeated in my head, "The morning light will lead you, no weapon will defeat you."

'No weapon will defeat you, Emerson. Please be okay.' I thought to myself as I kissed his knuckles again.

Remington sighed, putting an arm around me. "Don't worry, Victoria. Emerson's a fighter, he won't let something this small get the best of him." He said, trying to make me feel better.

"Thanks a bunch Remington, I really appreciate you being here for me." I said quietly. 

Remington was the first person who'd heard me talk in more than six weeks.