Chapter 2

I got up and went into the bathroom to shower. I undressed and looked at myself in the mirror. All I could ever think was how I could ever let it get to this point. Bruises covered my limbs making every inch of my body black and blue. My lip was plump in an abnormal way, swollen and bloody. The only taste on my tongue being the bitter taste of my own blood. I turned on the water and stepped in. Each time I stepped into that damn shower I'd scrub and scrub to make the pain go away, to make the blood go away, to make everything fade away but it never did, and I'd always end up losing myself in a flood of my own tears. I knew deep down this wasn't the way to live, but something always stopped me from leaving. When I was done drowning in my self pity, I'd step out of the shower and look at myself. The makeup streaming down my swollen face, but I'd get ready for the day ahead and put on my brave face. I heard a knock at the bathroom door.

"Addison, you all set in there?"

"Yeah, yeah I'll be out in a minute."

I unlocked the door and kissed Colt goodbye.

"Don't do anything you'll regret." His voice was low, setting off some sort of lightbulb inside of me, knowing that I can't do anything to upset him. I knew that if I did, he'd make my life more of a living hell than it already was. That was something I couldn't bear to imagine. Nothing could be worse than the way Colt already treated me. 

"I won't," I insisted, unlocking the bathroom door. Colt grabbed my wrist and pulled me close, the smell of whiskey overwhelmingly strong on his breath. He simply uttered,

"Good."