Chapter 1

When Percy's eyed adjusted to the light, he saw a ring of boys, maybe thirty or so, starting down at him. One boy was in the cage next to him unloading the boxes and passing them up to some other boys. He saw Percy staring at him and said "My name's Newt, greenie. Welcome to the Glade. Can you help me with these?"
"Um, sure." Percy said, picking up a box of his own and passing it up. "My name's Percy." He added.
"Hi, Percy." Said Newt. "After we unload these boxes, I'll show you around."
"Thanks." Said Percy, and returned to his work.

"This is the homestead. It's where we eat and sleep." It was after they had unloaded and unpacked all the boxes, and Newt was giving him a tour of the Glade.
"You should meet the other Gladers. I'm the second-in-command, you see. And this is Alby, he's in command." Newt gestured to an African American boy.
" Hi, Percy." Alby said. He was deep in conversation with another boy. "That's Minho." Newt informed him.
"Hey, shank." Minho said.
"Shank?" Percy thought.
"He's keeper of the runners."
"Um, great. What does that mean?"
"He's in charge of all the runners. Same as Winston is keeper of the slashers, Zart is keeper of the trackhoes, and so on. Speaking of slashers, we need to find you a job. Every Glader has a job. You'll try slasher first." Newt said. Newt lead him to Winston and he started working.

That night the Gladers had a big party to celebrate the new arrival.
"Is this a normal thing?" Percy asked.
"Yeah, we get a new greenie every month. Comes surrounded by supplies." Minho answered. Suddenly a boy ran up to them.
"Come on, greenie. Let's see what your worth." He said, pulling Percy towards a ring of boys.
"Do I have a choice in the matter?" Percy thought.
"My name's Gally." He said, throwing a punch.
"Percy" He replied, dodging the punch. Gally threw punch after punch, but each one Percy dodged. Finally Gally grabbed a glass of water from a table near him and dumped it on Percy's head. However, before it could land on Percy, it stopped.
"What the-?" Gally stammered. Percy just stared at the water floating above his head.