Chapter 2: A Family that Prays Together

Erica

All I remember is screaming. I don't remember them pulling me off of him. I don't remember Denise helping me into the ambulance or running after the gurney. I recall fuzzy things like Denise trying to calm me on the walk to the waiting room. An hour ago I was standing in my place beside my husband ministering to souls. His eyes had grown wide with shock in the middle of his sermon. Grasping my hand tightly he staggered back; His right side twitched and he collapsed, convulsing, dragging me with him. The panic started in my chest and spread. Suddenly my lungs filled with air and I unleashed an unladylike horror-filled scream.

"Baby!", I screeched. "Baby...baby noo".

I was afraid to touch him. The robe I bought him for our 27th wedding anniversary fanned around him. His brown eyes had rolled to the back of his head and he lay motionless. I gawked him sensing a presence not of God.

Father show me what I need to see.

Taking Daniel by the hand I prayed silently. I asked God to cover  him and to show him mercy. As I finished an unusual but familiar warmth came over my body. My breathing slowed down and peace echoed in my spirit.

Have you remembered me your God?

The words echoed in my body and I felt a ripening in my belly. I doubled over,my lips tingling. The Spirit of God came upon me and I fell into worship while the armor bearers helped Daniel. 

Father I thank you for never ending mercy. I thank you for being Jehovah Nissi. I thank you for being the Rose of Sharon. Things could've been so much worse. I thank you for reminding me that You are the source of my strength. When I am weak You prop me up on every leaning side. I pray this prayer in Jesus name. Amen.

The Spirit of God left and everything became blurred.
So here we are in Bethel Hospital waiting for a doctor to come with news about Daniel. Denise sat next to me running her French manicured fingers along her honey colored arms.

She's a beautiful young woman but won't even go on a date because of me.

Lost in my thoughts I ran my fingers through her long deep red dyed hair. Daniel had a farm when she dyed it. She had gone to a ladies night with old college girlfriends. Daniel didn't want her to go but she was grown and heck she needed a life. What kind of 25 year old wants to sit up with her parents in their free time? Only my first born, Denise Monay Tanner. Her girlfriends convinced her to try something new and do a rinse dye. Since her hair is long the whole color didn't take so instead of the fiery red she wanted it came to be a beautiful burgundy color that complimented her full lips (Denise pictured above). 

" Mama you okay?"

I snapped from my thoughts and noticed Denise staring with worry. Giving her a lopsided sorry excuse of a grin I stroked her cheek with the back of my hand. She placed her hand over mine and melted into it just like she use to when she was little. 

My baby ain't a baby no more

"Mama's okay Nissy. I'm just tired is all. Your daddy wasn't the greatest but he is all I've known,"I said closing my eyes as tears threatened to fall. It has been a long journey but 37 years and 3 daughters later I'm still standing. 

"Family of Daniel Tanner!"