Chapter 3: Family Reunion

Denise

I stood quickly, awkwardly grabbing both our belongings and heading over to the man I assumed was the doctor.

"We're the family of Daniel Tanner", Mama said placing a hand on the middle of my back. " I'm his wife, Erica Tanner, and this is our oldest daughter Denise"

He reached out a hand and my mother took it giving a solid shake. Forgetting the things I was carrying I reached out a french manicured hand. Everything tumbled to the floor as I stood mortified.
"Ooops. Let me help you Miss Tanner" he said kneeling to scoop up my mess.
I admired his musclar back as he moved. What a man! Ooooo!! Embarrassed i looked away only to be met by a knowing glance from my mother. Heat rose to my cheeks and a smile spread over my lips.
He's fiiiiine my mother mouthed me. I widened my eyes in shock and stifled a laugh. My mother is toooo much.
"Here you go Miss Tanner" , he said placing the items back in my arms.
I tensed as our hands grazed each other and searched his slanted hazel eyes.
"Denise is fine doctor-" i said as our eyes locked.
"Peterson. Doctor Adam Peterson" he said with a smile showcasing his wonderful dimples. I blinked...i wasn't here to flirt i was here for my father.
"Doctor Peterson is my father alright?"
The smile instantly vanished as he placed his hands in his pockets.
"Im sorry to tell you this but Mr. Tanner has suffered a serious stroke". I glanced at mother. She slowly placed one hand over her red painted lips and the other on her stomach. Her eyes glazed over with tears. I watched as she came undone. I turned my attention back to the doctor.
" Is he going to die?"
I swallowed my tears and let their salt calm my throat. My mother needs me to be her rock i can't fall apart now.
Adam sighed before he answered me. "Denise his chance of pulling through is less than 50%. The best thing you can do is call your family....let them have their final moments with him. We're gonna do the best we can". He placed a tender hand on the small of my back before he walked away. I closed my eye as a tear slowly crept down my cheek.
"Nissy we gotta call your sisters. I need all of my girls here with me"
I glanced at my mother as if she had 7 heads. Say what now!
"Mama you and i haven't spoken to Tamar in years. Nelle is probably finishing up with finals. That child is acting weird!" i said in a huff
"Nissy i need my children...call em....NOW! ....Plz".
Inwardly i rolled my eyes as i handed mama her jacket and purse.
"Yes ma'am " i grumbled pulling out my cell phone. Lord be with us...this is about to be one hell of a family reunion....heaven help us!