Chapter 6: Drive Home

Erica

I waited patiently outside Daniel's hospital room for Denise. I didn't wanna see him with all those tube and needles like that. It has nothing to do with him being my husband but more so with him being human. How can I sit there and watch a machine breathe for a person that was so active and lively? Daniel isn't the best man but he still is human and more than that he's a child of God.

Denise called my girls and filled them in. I know they'll both be here....even Tamar. Nissy said Brian answered and he didn't seem surprised to get a call from her. He said they'll be here tomorrow. I still can't believe Tamar is gonna be here with my grand baby. The last time I spoke to Tamar, Judea was learning to walk and she could talk a little. That was so many years ago.  I glanced into Daniel room to see Denise place a kiss on his forehead. I felt a tear as it rolled down my check probably ruining my eye liner and mascara. 

He took away my opportunity to know my grand baby. The only one I have. He ruined it. But that'll change when Tamar gets here.

Tamar isn't perfect and knew she did things out of order but that didn't give Daniel the right to cut her off. She was so scared but she got through. She graduated and right before Brian's took pastorship over Greater Mt Pisgah Church of God in Christ she was ordained as an Apostle. 

The tears continued  to fall as I longed for my baby. Tamar was the most sensitive of the girls. One summer when she was about 10 she came screaming downstairs. Daniel was at the church with the deacons. I had taken the day off so i could keep an eye on the girls Tears and snot running down her face as she screamed. I just knew she had been hurt. I would've sworn somebody had hurt my baby. I snatched her close to me and checked for signs of trauma. "Where are you hurt? Did you fall?". Wiping tears from her eye she shook head no. " Nissy called me stupid", she sniffled. I dropped my head to hide to grin on my face. My child Lord. "Mama it's not funny", Tamar pouted.

I smiled, remembering  when my girls were little. Denise's heels clicked against the marble floor as she walked out the room. I watched her as she approached. Her face was devoid of emotion but i could feel joy radiating from her. I cocked my head to the left side and chewed the the corner of my lip.
"Mama you ready to go?"
I nodded my head in response a little confused by the sense of joy i could feel radiating off her. I gave a final look into Daniel's room before following Denise to the Silver 2016 Honda Accord and heading home. Lord I feel a storm brewing give us the strength we need to weather it. Amen.