Just Another Day

Just Another Day

"Any updates?" asked the person in the crisp black business suit standing in front of the glass that took up two whole walls of his office as he gazed at the city below him.

"There's been some talk about the new software that Singhania Technologies is processing." Replied another equally alert voice from the other side of the phone. "Apparently it can track down anyone. Can be used for new prospects or...to tie up loose ends. So it's an asset that all will kill to buy."

"Anything else?" asked the man propping his hand up against the glass and clenching it in a fist.

"Yes, there's a shipment coming up in JNP tomorrow night." He replied and after some time added, "I don't understand how you are going to manipulate this problem?" The other man asked confused. "The head honcho is hell bent on keeping it hush hush and in his private circle. He won't let anyone in other than his family and the board."

"Don't worry old man," the man replied. "I have my ways. You just make the usual arrangements and keep everyone on stand-by."

"I know the drill," he replied irritated that he had been ignored. "Just tell me your plans about the new development."

"As I said not to worry," The man replied sternly. "I have it all planned out."

"But how Xavier?" He persisted.

"By cashing an old debt." With that the man cut the call already planning his new game play.

|||||||

She sipped her cup of coffee as she sat beside her Father who was busy watching the morning highlights. As he preferred to say 'The newspapers printed the past but he wanted to be updated about the present.'

Her Mother bustled about the house throwing venomous glares at her husband for not eating his breakfast at the dinner table. It was an everyday scene that Mira was used to and she felt wrong if the day didn't start with her Mother ranting at her Father for his daily defiance for which the old man remained oblivious about. Unlike her Father who was a guillotine for punishment, she obediently finished her breakfast at the table and then went to have coffee with him.

A news caught her attention and she tuned in to the reporter, "...a raided ship. According to the latest reports the ship which was raided last night had held over half a million worth of cargo. The ship destined for the Oberoi Group of Industries has been estimated to be raided around two to three after midnight. Arnav Oberoi, the CEO, assures that although the blow is big, the company will find a solution for it as it always does. Moving on to the next news..."

"A ship raid?" She asked her Father in disbelief. "What was so important in it that it had to be raided?"

Her Father just shook his head at her and answered, "Fodder for thought. But then, Arnav Oberoi's always kept his cards close to his chest. Let's not waste our time speculating and go do something productive."

With that he got up taking his plate back to the table and giving her little sister a wink. Strange man, her Father, but then he has always applied the rule of only giving thought to those things which mattered to him.

She too went to the kitchen and washed her empty mug at the sink. Saying a quick goodbye to her Mother and ruffling her little sister Alisha's hair she stepped out of their two storey townhouse trailing her Father with thoughts of raids and Oberoi's out of her mind.