A Dinner with the Devil

After changing her clothes Mira came down to find her husband sitting in front of the TV. Thinking about their dinner she asked him, "Did you get Aunt Hina's call today?"

"Yes," he said as he turned to look at her. She had freshened up, her hair down and wearing a camisole and shorts that had bunnies on them.

'Bunny shorts for the bunny,' he thought as he looked at her.

"She told me that she had an emergency and had to leave early." Aditya said straight faced. He wasn't really lying merely embellishing the facts. Aunt Hina had told him that she would prepare dinner and leave but he had urged her to leave it be. Ever since he had found out that his wife could cook, he had looked forward to eating at home. He was tired of all the food that he ate at restaurants with his clients so waited eagerly for the days that she prepared dinner. Not that Aunt Hina's cooking was bad but his wife's was just better. "Dinner hasn't been cooked."

"Okay." Mira said. "Then do you want to order take-out?"

"No," Aditya replied. He hadn't lied through his teeth for take-out. "Let's make something for dinner. I will help you out."

Mira looked at him unsure for a moment and then said, "Okay. What would you like to eat? I had asked Aunty to buy some chicken and fish today."

"Whatever you want," Aditya said as he got up from the couch. As it was an open plan room he could see Mira bustling about the kitchen.

She went to the refrigerator to get out the chicken to thaw. She wanted to have some delicious Chicken curry along with rice.

"I will make some Chicken curry. Do you want me to fry the fish?" she enquired.

"Just the curry will do." he answered. Mira hummed as she started working.

"What do you want me to do?" Aditya asked seeing her getting the rice.

"You're serious!" Mira looked at him surprised. "Do you know how to cook?"

"Just the basics," he replied as he awaited her instructions.

"Okay then. Chop those veggies," she said pointing at the cutting board. They worked harmoniously, her sneaking peeks at him doing the work given to him diligently as if it was somehow the most important thing in the world. He chopped the onions slowly as tears rolled down his eyes and she found the sight particularly amusing. She snickered making him look up from his task. Seeing her laughing at him he said sternly, "Don't."

She laughed even harder but continued her work.

A heavenly aroma spread around the room making her gaze lighten with delight. She looked at Aditya who seemed to be staring at her now that his job was done. He returned her smile and said, "That smells delicious."

"Here," she said as she held out the spatula. "Taste for the salt."

He complied and said with surprise, "It's tastes delicious too."

Mira flushed at his compliment. Once done, Aditya brought the dinner out to the dining table where he had set their dishes. She went to take the spoon from him but he interrupted her.

"Let me." he said and served their meal. They both ate their meal in silence. But this silence was peaceful as if the meal they had prepared together had bonded them somehow.

After dinner Aditya collected their dishes despite her protests and proceeded to wash them. She could only sit by on the barstool and watch him playing the diligent husband. Once he was done, Mira asked him, "Shall we open a bottle of wine or have some ice-cream?"