Prologue

Prologue

My father had just sold me off to the highest bidder.

Those were the thoughts that revolved in her head like a broken tape on repeat as she was guided to her new husband's room in all her wedding finery for their so called wedding night. She was in a state of shock as the ladies of his house guided her inside the beautifully decorated room closing the door behind her. She looked back as the sound of the door being shut echoed just like the conversation that she had overheard.

"Are all the documents ready?" the husky voice of her husband seeped out into the corridor through the slit in the door. She stopped on her way to the grand hall, an unknown force compelling her to stay, where the reception of our marriage was on its way. The elders had wanted the reception along with their marriage to take place on the same day and there was no contesting them.

"Yes Mr. Oberoi. As promised earlier, the day you marry my daughter, in exchange of the ten crores, the seven percent shares of my business now belong to you." replied a familiar voice, one that belonged to my Father. "Congratulations Aditya you have now become a major stakeholder in Singhania Technologies and also my brand new son-in-law."

"It was mutually beneficial that is why I agreed to the terms, uncle. As a matter of fact I have no interest in living the married life." He replied back in a bland tone that made his disinterest clear.

The figure on the other side of the door slumped back against the wall, clutching thin air for support as the world as she perceived changed its axis. She waited a beat in order to give a chance to them to take back their words, to declare that it was just a joke but when the only sound to be heard was the clink of glass she broke down. They were oblivious, but their cold hearted talk had just broken an innocent's heart.

She wiped the lone tear that escaped her eyes as she replayed the talk that she had heard between her husband and her Father. She tried to console her bruised heart but how can one console the child in themselves? Taking in a rejuvenating breath, she walked to the bed covered in rose petals and sat herself down. She would demand answers but only when the time was right. Also she knew that before entering a war you should know your enemy which she didn't. A few strained talks, where she saw her husband through amorous eyes whereas he remained his aloof self couldn't give her the insight she needed.

There was a knock on the door which preceded the entry of her husband, a leather bound file in one hand as the other unbuttoned his sherwani.

"I haven't thrived in the security business for so long without learning a few tricks Mira," He said coming closer to where she was seated.

"Wha...What do you mean?" She asked him as she stared at the leather folder that he held in his hands. She suspected, that he knew of her discrepancy but couldn't be sure.

"I knew you were outside my home office Mira. I didn't say anything because I wanted you to know the truth behind our marriage." He bit out harshly. "Don't you see I am saving you from falling in love with a person that doesn't exist. I am not the man that you perceive me to be Mira."

She stared at him shocked by his honesty. She knew for a fact that if there was some other person in his stead then he would have tried to hide the truth, but not this enigmatic man it seemed.

"If you knew the truth," She asked in a broken whisper. "Then why didn't you say so when we first met?"

"Because I knew you would disagree." He stated in a harsh tone. "And I wanted this too much to loose it for you."

"Why? Why did you do this?" She asked needing to know the reason behind his actions. "Didn't you care that you were hurting my feelings in the process?"

He looked away from her not meeting her eyes. Keeping the file beside her, he walked towards the walk-in closet. "Don't ask me questions for which I have no answers, Mira. You wanted the truth, it's in the file."

"I know all I need to know Aditya." She replied as the door closed with a thud resounding in the void of her broken heart.

So how was it?