Chapter Nineteen: The White Camellia

                The Phantom’s feet made no sound as he travelled through the snowy streets looking for the man. He cursed himself for ever letting that man go. Rabe should never have been allowed to leave, the man should have died before he ever said anything to his beloved. He never should have been allowed to touch her or speak to her or even lay eyes on her. Then he had nearly pulled Camillé’s mind undone, and sealed his fate. The Phantom decided to implement a new strict law – no one was to touch Camillé but him. She was his, and his alone. No other insolent fop would be allowed anywhere near her.

                The blood boiling in his veins pushed him around the city at a far faster pace than usual. Within a twenty minutes, he had found him. The dead man was staying in an inn near the train station, likely going to catch the train to Calais so he could sail back to his home on the morrow. What a shame that he would never arrive to the station. The Phantom walked around the back of the building, listening to the conversations inside. Most of the men were drunk and slurring, but two voices stuck out to him in particular, neither of which he enjoyed hearing.

                “A fine beauty, she is,” Rabe slurred, making the Phantom laugh.

He didn’t find it surprising that the Raven was drunk. Then another, more alert voice answered the man and Erik burst through, nearly starting from shock. Why was he here?

“That she is.  I can only hope she’s as happy as can be with that man.  He’d better be treating her right and making her comfortable.  I could have given her a good life.”

                Rabe snorted. “You coulda given her a better life than that thing under the Opera House can.”

                “Under the Opera House?  You told me she was living near it.”

                “Under… near… same thing.  Point is, that masked freak can’t give her anything, that’s fer certain.”

                The other man cleared his throat. “I don’t think he has to give her anything.  I think… I think she loves him.  There’s no other explanation.”

                “Why?” Rabe laughed, “Why would anybody love that thing?”

                The Phantom was close to crashing through the wall and taking that man’s life right there and then, but Erik wished to hear the rest of their conversation. He knew better than they did that is was surprising for Camillé to love him. It was hard to believe, and he wouldn’t have believed it himself if she hadn’t been proving that she truly loved him and would stay with him for the past four months.

                “I don’t know.  Knowing her, he’s probably got a good heart – despite outward appearances and attitude,” the other man chuckled.

                “You know ‘er better than I do, Captain,” he admitted, and Erik was struck senseless.

                Since when was that boy fit to be a captain? The men were silent for a minute more before the other spoke again.

                He cleared his throat again. “Well, I’m going to turn in for the night.  You’re welcome to come aboard my ship – you said you were headed to England – that’s a short trip.  We need to make a stop in Portsmouth anyway.  Her name’s The White Camellia; she’s the best ship on the sea.  You can come with me and my first mate in the morning, we’re docked in Le Havre.  Just don’t be surprised if my crew doesn’t take kindly to your thieving antics.”