Chapter Forty-One: He's Gone

Four Months, Four Weeks, and Three Days, Mireval

Camillé and Daniel waved everyone off as they left for Paris. They were both still rather sore from the argument they had about whether or not they were going. Daniel had finally convinced her not to go on the grounds that when they went to the Nouvelle Année celebration at the home of one of their friends here in town, he would let her dance at least twice. He had told her he would promise no more than two dances to the injured woman. Any more than that and he was not willing to commit. Sometimes she loved his protective nature and sometimes she despised it. This was one of those times.

Noël had been entertaining. The giving of gifts was a lively event, as several people had given gag gifts in additions to the regular ones. They were all merry and all conversation of depressing topics was left behind. All the couples in the room had been caught beneath the 'mistletoe' more than once, as Samuel was carrying it around and attempting to get people to kiss. At some point, he had caught Marcella and Philippe beneath the mistletoe, which Daniel had quickly shot down. Philippe only ended up kissing her cheek.

Christine was a wonderful addition to the little family, and everyone seemed to love her. Even Camillé found herself greatly enjoying Christine's company. After a while, they all seemed to be as comfortable with each other as if they had been friends their entire lives. Ramier was a good man with a sense of humor, and everyone adored little Lysandre. Katherine was a good friend, as she always was. Truly, this group felt like Camillé's family. She almost didn't want to leave them.

She didn't understand it. Lately, she'd thought about Erik less that she had when she first left – she only thought about him maybe once a day if he was lucky and she didn't understand it. Even with Christine here, she barely thought about him. She still wore his rings, but her mind was elsewhere. It was as if he mattered less than he had before. She shook her head as Daniel led her back inside. She still loved him, she was just busy. That was all.

_____/~~\_____

Five Months, One Week, Mireval

Daniel leaned back in his chair as Camillé gasped and let out a torrent of questions. It wasn't surprising that this had happened. The man had stolen Christine from her debut, hadn't he? He was always one for dramatics and show. Truly, it was fitting that he lived beneath an Opera House.

Camillé, on the other hand, was shocked. Absolutely, completely shocked. What was Erik thinking? He came out at the Masquerade Ball and made a gigantic spectacle of himself! The buffoon even went so far as to dress up as the Red Death! She had read that particular short story, and hated it. What was he thinking?

Sometimes, she wondered if she even knew this man.

_____/~~\_____

Five Months, Two Weeks, and One Day, Mireval

The notes echoed throughout the house, her soul pouring into the music. Daniel walked in and sat down beside her.

"How would you feel about taking over this business?" she asked him.

He looked at her sideways. "Why, are you thinking of giving it to me?"

"Yes," she answered honestly, "I am. I have no one else to give it to, Daniel."

"Do you really want to go back to Paris so badly?"

She sighed. "Yes. It is my home, isn't it?"

He nudged her shoulder and whispered in her ear, "How many times have we gone out and you called this home?"