Anemones

(Before we start, I wanna thank NyanKat10 for helping me write this. This was a plan for a whole story, but after a while both of us ran out of motivation. We're doing our best, but decided to post it as a multi chaptered one shot because her account got blocked on her phone. She probably won't see this, but a great thanks to her! The first chapter (this post) was written by her. The next one will be me, and switch back and forth. Enjoy!)

Prompt: Mermaid AU where everyone is a merperson and their tails reflect upon their personality. (e.g Zane's has a black tail with pink fins, Kawaii~Chan has basically all pink, ext.)

~Zane's POV~

    "Hurry, Zane~Kun!" Kawaii~Chan squealed, swimming farther ahead of me. I watched her swimming strongly, feeling a hint of envy deep inside. I quickly shoved it aside, and pushed my muscles to work harder. This is one reason I never leave my cave, because I absolutely suck at swimming. Yeah, I know, ironic because I'm a mermaid/man/whatever.
    "Slow down!" I called back, as she turned a sharp corner, disappearing from my vision, to the other side of the purplish stone at my side. I groaned, putting on an extra burst of speed, and whipping around the corner. I gasped, taking in the sight in front of me as I came to a sudden halt.
    "Isn't it amazing, Zane~Kun?" Kawaii~Chan asked, swimming a few feet in front of me. I gazed at the sunken ship in awe. "Let's go explore!"
    "Just as long as we don't get in trouble..." I breathed, although I didn't care. We really weren't supposed to be near surface-made things... but who cares?!
    "Come on!" Kawaii~Chan squeaked, grabbing my wrist and helping me make a speedier approach. We quickly reached the wooden wreckage, looking around to make sure the coast was clear. Ducking inside before a guard patrol came near, I paused when we entered. The surface world had always fascinated me... my curiosity helped me forget the pain, and allowed me to find a reason. Kawaii~chan was already looking around, opening the dresser drawers and searching for things to play with.
    I shook myself out of my thoughts, and joined her in the search. I swam across the room, looking around and letting my blue eyes absorb the room. This seemed to be a more intricately designed ship, with chairs that looked quite (or used to be) comfy, the beautifully painted, peeling wallpaper, and even... oh... what did Emmalyn and Kenmur call it...? Umm... a teleph- wait, no. A television! That's it!
    I sighed, floating over to the dresser across from the one Kawaii~Chan was scavenging. I pulled open the drawer, and looked inside seeing the belongings of what looked like a young girl. I delicately pulled everything out, biting my lower lip. One thing that came with exploring surface ships... sometimes there were... deaths. I pulled out a small brush, a cracked mirror, a handkerchief, and a hair ribbon, and... a doll. I felt my breath hitch, wondering if this little girl was missing her doll. I hoped she was, because if she wasn't...
    "Kawaii~Chan, did you ever see a human doll before?" I asked, running a skinny finger over the doll's white dress. Her black, silky hair floated in the warm water, and her cloth face seemed resilient against the ocean.
    "No! Did you find one?" she asked, turning her head, and swimming over with a curious expression. She looked over my shoulder, as I gazed down into the doll's faded, green button eyes. "Oh... Zane~Kun, she's beautiful..."
    "Yeah..." I mumbled, but my sensitive ears suddenly picked up fin movement nearby. I paused for a moment, motioning for Kawaii~Chan to do the same. Trusting in my delicate hearing, she obeyed, casting her amber gaze around the area. I caught a flash of white, and instantly froze. "Kawaii~chan... it's the Shadow Knights... we need to get out of here..."
    "What do we do?" she whispered in reply, as I shoved my new items into my bag. I bit my lower lip, truly not knowing.
    "In there... it's the wimpy Ro'meave and the pink one. They're bound to have some good loot, not to mention the village would trade back for them if we wished..." I caught a new voice say.
    "This way..." I whispered to Kawaii~Chan, slowly leading her towards a smaller opening farther from the voices. The village wasn't too far, and maybe we could-
    "GO!! IN THERE!!" screamed the voice, as three larger mermaids shot into the ship's cabin. Kawaii~Chan dove out the opening, me close behind. I felt a sharp pain, as my tail caught on the jagged wood, tearing the soft, black flesh. I let out a yelp, as Kawaii~Chan grabbed my arm. She helped me along, swimming with all her strength to support both of us. I didn't weigh much, but Kawaii~Chan was very small herself. I could hear them close behind, quickly gaining on us.
    "Help! Somebody help!" Kawaii~Chan yelled, in the desperate attempt for her shrill voice to reach the village or a person who could help. I could taste my own blood in my gills, and it left me feeling light-headed.
    "Haha! Caught cha!"

~Travis's POV~

    I'm pretty sure Dante heard the yell before anybody else. I mean, it was his lady-friend screaming for help. He took off towards the yelling, Garroth, Laurence and I close on his tail. We swam over a hill of coral, darting around another pile of purple sea-rock. Out in the open water we saw them, five figures. Two had their backs against the purple stone we were waiting upon, while the others closed in fast. The metallic taste of blood leaked into my gills, but I knew it wasn't my own. Drawing our weapons, the other guards and I exchanged glances. Garroth put three fingers up, counting down the seconds. One of the figures below screamed, and Dante dove down into the crowd.
    "Dante!" I exclaimed, following him without hesitation. Laurence and Garroth groaned, before following us close behind. I raised my spear, the taste of blood in the salty water becoming stronger. Dante was already fighting one of the larger figures, so Garroth and Laurence took the other two. Seeing they were fine without me, I turned to the two mermaids behind me.
    "Zane? Kawaii~Chan?" I asked, swimming forwards. I noticed Zane leaning heavily on Kawaii~Chan and the murky red cloud.
    "T-Travis~Senpai! Zane~Kun is hurt!" she exclaimed, as Zane shook his head in denial. The disgusting taste was horrible, as I helped steady the small merman. 
    "Oh dear..."

(Part two should be up soon! Sorry for the lack of posting. I put a lot of effort into the smallest of stories, and I'm getting even more support for this book than any of my other ones. Thanks for all the votes and prompts, I'll do my best to keep up with you guys!)