Chapter 19

The Palace was a rustic-yet-elegant restaurant with wood-accented walls and Tiffany lamps hanging from the ceiling. Christmas lights twinkled throughout, and fresh flowers and candles adorned the tables.

"Right this way," the hostess said as she led Tokola, Jasmine, Luke and me to our table.

We passed a bunch of glitzed-up girls who waved and called out to Luke. He held fast to my hand, gave them a quick nod and then leaned toward me. "Your dress. It's driving me crazy."

It wasn't that long ago that Luke would've left my side to run over to his adoring fans, so I figured my little black dress with rhinestone spaghetti straps was doing its job. Luke looked scorching hot in his black suit and silver tie, and I loved that he didn't seem to want to take his hands or his eyes off me.

The night was ours to enjoy. Nobody could ruin it. Mostly because Kai wouldn't be at my school dance. He and Sage would no doubt be at the Ignacio Christmas Dance. Not that I cared. Nor did I care that Kai's picture was hidden deep in the zipper pocket of my purse.

"Here you go, beautiful girl," Tokola said as he pulled a chair out for Jasmine. His grey suit complimented her plum tea-length dress very nicely.

Jasmine sighed. "I'm perfectly capable of seating myself."

"Of course you are." Tokola scooted her chair in for her. "Just indulge me for one night, will you?"

"Let him, Jazz," I said. "Gentlemen are a dying breed."

Luke cleared his throat as he held the back of my chair. "Not in this town."

I smiled. "Thank you, kind sir."

"What's your pleasure, my lady?" Luke sat down and picked up a menu. "Choose anything you want."

After we all enjoyed a delicious dinner, Luke checked his watch and rested his arm around my shoulders. "Anyone in for coffee and dessert?"

Tokola took a deep breath and arched his back a little. "I am."

Jazz shook her head. "Where are you going to put it?"

Something across the restaurant caught Luke's eye. He stiffened, clenched his jaw. There was only one person I was aware of who could make Luke look like that. I held my breath and followed his gaze.

Kai.

And Sage.

Great. Perfect. He lived to torture me. Sage looked amazing in a sculpted sapphire dress. She hung on Kai's arm as if she were his jacket. Pain stabbed me in the chest, and I fought the urge to rush over and pull her arm off of him.

Kai was breathtaking in a black-and-tan leather jacket with his hair falling over his shoulders. They didn't see us because they were seated in the other room with their backs to us, but the whimsical window between the two rooms allowed me a clear view of the beautiful couple.