Chapter 21

I was a mess of emotions when Luke dropped me off at my house. Happy that I was able to give him peace, grateful that he'd trusted me enough to let me do it. Excited because I could push a vision back in time. But what about the dead person? My new bracelet slid around on my wrist as I waved goodbye to Luke and closed the front door behind me.

"Bay?" Dad strode out of his office. His face was ashen. "Do you know where Emma is?"

My chest tightened. "What's wrong?"

"Mrs. Red Cloud is dead."

"What?" I shook my head. "I just talked to her this morning."

"Time of death was about noon."

I stared at him for a moment and then sank to the floor. Was she the dead person?

The house slanted sideways.

My head felt heavy. I searched for Dad's face. He was at my side, lifting me off the ground. I heard everything in slow motion after that.

"Emma is missing."

"It looks like murder. Blunt force trauma to the head. Emma's the prime suspect."

"The little boy, Jake, was found at the neighbor's. He'd been beaten, too. If you have any idea where Emma is, we need to know."

I shook my head. "Emma couldn't kill anyone." But what about the black horse? "I don't think."

"When was the last time you saw her?"

"Last night. At the dance with Josh. I had a horrible vision about her."

"What did you see?" Dad guided me to the couch.

I couldn't get enough air into my lungs as the images raced through my mind. "Emma was covered with blood, running from something. Or someone." I covered my mouth with my hands. Was that Mrs. Red Cloud's blood? "This morning Mrs. Red Cloud said Emma was grounded for sneaking out last night."

Dad's eyebrows rose. "Can you 'see' Emma? The Chief needs to know."

"I'll try." I closed my eyes. My heart pounded in my ears, but I saw nothing but darkness. I squeezed my eyes tighter. What was wrong? I always connected with her. "I can't see her," I said. Panic flooded my veins. "Why can't I see her?"

"It's okay, honey." Dad pulled a blanket over my legs and rubbed my shoulders. "You're in shock. I shouldn't act like you're already on the force."

I sank into the cushions and stared at the wall. Dad grabbed some papers from his office and sat down next to me. It was just enough comfort without being fussed over. Thank goodness Mom was out shopping.

Details spiraled through my mind.

Mrs. Red Cloud was dead.

I talked to her that morning.