Chapter 27

Surprise! 

Since there are only four chapters left, I'm going to post two this week and two next week.

 Hope you enjoy!

News of my vision and the police statement circulated through the school hallways, so I was getting weird looks again. Whatever. All I felt were Kai's lips on mine. When school got out, I was going to go find him.

I still needed to talk to Luke, but the thought gave me a stomach ache. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt him, to see pain in his eyes. He was working up at the ski lodge after school, so our talk would have to wait until the next time we were face-to-face. Luke deserved way more than a phone break-up.

But what if Kai never wanted to see me again because I wasn't Ute, because I didn't kiss right? To be kissed by him only once would be a tragedy. To never be held in his arms again – I couldn't even think of it. My dad threatened to send him back to juvi if he touched me. I had to tell Kai that my dad didn't mean it. I wanted nothing to keep him away. If only Jasmine was right, that Kai was in love with me.

But would the part of him that didn't want to be in love with me win out?

Being in limbo was the worst. If we were going to be together, full speed ahead. If we weren't going to be together, I'd have to figure out some way to deal with that. But not knowing was agony. I couldn't wait to ride Dakota onto the reservation to purposely provoke Kai. Then we'd see where we stood.

Mom was waiting for me in the Jeep after school. "Emma's asking for you," she said as I opened the passenger door. "And the Chief says you can see her if he's in the room with you."

My heart ached for Kai, at not being able to find him right away. But they were finally going to let me see Emma. I jumped into the Jeep, and Mom headed for the hospital. It was a good sign that Emma was talking.

The young police guard opened the door for us as Mom and I walked up to Emma's hospital room. Dad and the Chief were already inside. Emma looked at me through swollen eyes.

"Emma." I walked over and hugged her softly. Relief washed over me. That's when I realized how worried I'd been about this girl who was so hard to figure out.

"You were right," she said in a hoarse voice. "I should've listened to you." She grabbed onto me like she was clinging for her life. "I'm sorry about Dakota. I just . . . didn't know what else to do."

"It's okay," I said over the lump in my throat, over the anger I still felt about her stealing Dakota. "He's fine."

She started shaking. "But now I'm a murderer."

I took her shoulders. "You are not a murderer." I whipped my head around to Dad and the Chief. "What did you say to her?"

"Well." Emma hiccupped. "I killed her, right?"